Introducing new cat woes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Introducing new cat woes

I have a 7 year old stray female Birman/Ragdoll? who adopted from a lady 2 years ago; I recently adopted a 3 year old male stray Ragdoll/Himalayan. I've given him his own bedroom and slowly introduced them by way of scent, I traded blankets and allowed resident female to smell his room while he was in another room.

I moved her bowl close to his door, both of their bowls are merely separated by the door of the bedroom. The past couple of days I let them see each other by cracking the door open, my female hissed and growled but nothing major. They traded paw swipes (the male seems to do it in jest?). However, today I let my guard down and my female entered his room. I tried to play it clamly by dangling their favorite today between both of them to try and associate something positive between each other. Anyways, the male got rowdy and tried to pounce on the female. Nevertheless she got startled and growled. So far all the hostile emotions are coming from her.

I adopted him last Wednesday night and it's been a week and 1 day now. Does it normally take this long? Should I continue to leave him quarantined or how should I move onto the next phase of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

You might want to try baby gates for a couple weeks. That will let them get used to seeing each other, being around each other. I bought three gates from Walmart ($12 each) and stacked them on top of each other.

Pictures?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
You might want to try baby gates for a couple weeks. That will let them get used to seeing each other, being around each other. I bought three gates from Walmart ($12 each) and stacked them on top of each other.

Pictures?
I only have a picture of my female; here are a couple:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

OMGosh! She's gorgeous, definitely part Birman, if not all. With her white little feet, she may be a purebred, like Cinderella.

Someone posted here a while back about something dangerous in aquarium water for cats, can't remember what it is, though.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Premier Cat

She's absolutely beautiful! As for the introduction, a week would be a very short introduction time for two adult cats...so what you're seeing is perfectly normal. It will likely take a few weeks to a few months before they're comfortable with each other.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Update: Today was not a good day. I let him out while she was in my room, he got a temper tantrum. I was trying to get them to play together and as soon as she turned her back, he pounced on her and she swatted him; a fight broke and she ran away as he trailed after her. Is this normal?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Premier Cat

It is normal. From your description, it sounds like it was a real fight, as opposed to play-fighting. If so, then it suggests that your two are not yet ready to be put together. You might try using the baby gates for a week or two, as Marie suggested.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She still hisses at him. Is it still too early for her to accept him?

I moved to stage 2. I put up plastic gates to his room and their bowls are an arm lengths from each other.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

There is no set timeline by which this will proceed, since it will differ from cat to cat. The "norm" is often a few weeks, and you've already been at it for about that length of time. However, it could well take longer in your case, since your female is around 7 and is not used to having other cats around (at least not for the last few years). BTW, are they both spayed/neutered?

In addition to keeping them separated by the gate, try to have as many good things happen by the gate as possible. You're already feeding them there, which is good...other "good things" include play, treats, catnip, etc. That way, they will slowly learn to associate each other with good things. Also, if you aren't already, I would do a daily room exchange, by putting the female in the safe room for a hour or so and letting the male run around the house. In that way, they will each be depositing their scent in the other's area, creating a sort of communal or family scent, which is important to the cats' feeling like they both belong.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He somehow managed to take down the top gate and got out, he pounced on her and tore some fur from her. She's really shaken by the incident and has become more attached to me. BTW, while she does hiss at him; she never instigates anything. Think of her as the insecure adult cat, very shy and nervous. He seems to take every opportunity to pounce on her for some reason and I'm not sure if it will stop.

I'm really distraught and I need some guidance over what to do. My family members are not happy more than anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page