HELP! Cat Peeing --- - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

HELP! Cat Peeing ---

I just went to do some laundry and when taking my clothes out of the basket I noticed they were wet - soaking wet and stinky - thinking maybe it was cat pee -- what would make them do that? I'm not sure which cat is doing it as I never see them in my closet?! But it's grossing me out terribly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Cat Addict

One of them could have a UTI. Teddy had one earlier this week and he started peeing in any cardboard box he could find.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Cool Cat

When a cat stops using the litter box it is often a sign of a medical problem - a urinary tract infection or something similar as Rae suggested. They associate the pain from urinating with being in the litter box rather than with the act of urinating itself, so they use other spots in an attempt to avoid the pain.

Best get them to the vet to have them checked out! Medical problems can be easily treated with medication.

It's probably also a good idea to thoroughly clean the area because if they smell urine (they might even if you don't) they might continue to use that location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Cat

How old is the cat? How many do you have and how many litter boxes? My cat was doing this and when I added another cat box it completely stopped.

But yes, it could also be a UTI. Do you feed a high quality pet food?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I have a seven month old and a three year old - not sure who is doing it - they both still use the litter box -- I've seen them both in the litter box today in fact. I have two litter boxes in the house..
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Premier Cat

Happy New Year, Jan Rebecca! I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I guess you'll just need to keep an eye on the two of them for a few days to see if you can figure out the "guilty party". If they're both still using the box, then let's hope this was just a one-time thing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Kitten

Morea - thanks for the info about WHY a UTI causes a cat to pee outside the box. I guess I figured UTI=more frequent and uncontrolled urinating, and not about the pain association.

Jan Rebecca - best of luck to you! I had a cat who did this, though I'm sure it was because her litter box was blocked by a bunch of fallen cardboard boxes. Then, I think she got used to peeing where the scent was. Any changes in environment, increased stress, etc. to possibly attribute the peeing?

Try some Nature's Miracle - it worked wonders in my brand new car when I discovered that car rides cause my kitty Lay to pee, poop, and vomit from anxiety or motion sickness. I'm packing a spray bottle now; going through my own trials and tribulations with my ladies, too.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Cat

Mine was still using the box to poop but not to pee. So see what they are actually doing in there. My only assumption is that when I added a box he pees in one and poops in the other. Or maybe he just didn't like sharing. Whatever it was, adding a box helped.

Also make sure it is clean at all times. I was going to check for UTI but adding the box cured it before I took him. All you can do for now is to take away all things that he might pee on. Mine was peeing on laundry (clean and dirty), any clothes, towels on the floor and in the dog crates (on the pads).

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I have not figured out who did the peeing in my clothes basket - needless to say - the clothes basket is empty and put away - rug beneath that has been washed and also put away. I have not noticed pee anywhere else, but I haven't exactly got down on my hands and knees and sniffed my way around all the carpets.

Neither of the cats are acting sick in any way, eating, playing normally. Is there any other sign to look for IF they have a UTI?

I know they are still both doing their poo in the litter boxes because I know the diff. in their poo as wierd as that might sound. This morning when I checked the litter boxes it looks as if both are peeing in their too from the amount of wet.

I read online that sometimes a female cat who has not been fixed will 'spay' around the house if she goes into heat and their is no male to 'take care' of her. (so to speak lol) How much do they let out when they spay? Could that have been the case? Does spay smell different than pee?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Cool Cat

A cat can look completely healthy and have a urinary tract infection - or worse. My cat Martell had crystals in his bladder and the only sign he exhibited was occasional wetting outside the litter box. He was diagnosed by having a urine sample tested by the vet. I never would have suspected that anything was wrong with him otherwise, as cats are very good at hiding pain and he seemed healthy as could be.

The danger with crystals in the bladder is that they can block the urinary tract if left untreated, and this can actually be a fatal condition. There is more information via Cornell Feline Health Center here.

Be sure to watch the cats to see if one goes to the litter box frequently, seems to strain or cry in the litter box, or goes to the box only to pass a very small amount of urine (or sometimes even none at all). In some cases you may also be able to detect blood in the urine, but not always.

I get my cats to the vet at the first sign of urinating outside the litter box. A cat's instinct is to bury its waste to avoid detection by predators, so urinating outside the box is often a sign that something is wrong.

Your vet could give you instructions for collecting a clean urine sample from each cat which they may be able to test without even taking your cat in for an exam.

My cats have all been spayed or neutered before being introduced to my household, so I can't offer any suggestions about that. It might be worth a call to your vet to ask their opinion on the matter. My vet has always been willing to offer advice over the phone, and to tell me whether she believes the cat should be examined or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page