Trilling cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Trilling cat

First, let me set the stage for this thread: Murphy, our brown mackerel tabby, is very, very vocal around the other cats. Especially when the Christmas tree was up, he would go sit in the corner behind the tree and trill at Misha, who was usually hiding under the tree. Why? Is this just his way of communicating with Misha? There's never any response from Misha. She usually just picks up and moves on to the next hiding spot. And he eventually follows, trilling at her some more. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

I've had several "trillers".
I used to sing to our Toby ~1996-2008~ "...'cause this is Triller! Triller night! And no one's going to save you from the claws about to strike! 'cause this is Triller! Wooo-hooo!..."

IMO, it is an 'invitation' vocalization. Sort of a 'hey, I like you, wanna play?' communication. Not quite as overt as a dog bowing down to invite another to play, but similar in its' intent.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Jr. Cat

One of my cats trills all the time, whenever she starts to walk around, or takes a jump up or down, or wakes up, or settles down to sleep etc. She sometimes trills at me or at the other cat, but much of the time she is not trilling directly at either of us.

In my opinion she seems to be trying to communicate, as if to say, "I'm in a happy mood" or "I'm curious about what's going on over here" or "that's interesting." I think she knows that myself and the other cat can hear her trill even when she isn't doing it directly at us, and wants us to know what kind of mood she is in when she does it.

I don't have any scientific basis for any of that, though. I'd be interested in hearing scientific opinions about the reasons for trilling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Cat Addict

Nutmeg trills when she wants to play. She usually trills and then starts to run, as if she is saying "Chase me!!".

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Charlee is my triller. She has so many different variations, she sounds like R2D2 sometimes. I love it!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Jr. Cat

I feel kind of dumb to be asking this question but what is trilling? I have seen others use this term and I understand that it is a vocal thing cats do but what does it sound like? I may have heard my cats do this and just not known that's what it was.

Quote:
I used to sing to our Toby ~1996-2008~ "...'cause this is Triller! Triller night! And no one's going to save you from the claws about to strike! 'cause this is Triller! Wooo-hooo!..."
Just have to say I love this! hehe!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a sample:

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Premier Cat

Short vid of a kitty "trilling". It happens at the very beginning, the 2 seconds mark.

This one's a long vid, but the same kitty "trills" several times.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much Marie and Heidi! I have heard cats make that sound before but just didn't know that was the proper term for it. I don't think I have ever heard Sparrow or Salem trill though.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Cool Cat

Apollo does this all the time too. I think it's a play noise maybe? He seems to do it most when he's playing with Athena, especially when he wants to play but she's ignoring him or hiding from him. Maybe it's a noise they make to tell other cats they want to play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page