Does anyone know the psychological reasons why cats chew on wires? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Does anyone know the psychological reasons why cats chew on wires?

Does anyone know the psychological reasons why cats chew on wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Because they're there.

Maybe they look like mouse tails?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Jr. Cat

I would love to know what they are thinking about too! Salem has given my cell phone charger a few good kitty teeth holes lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Cat Addict

They don't believe in technology.

Becky, the proud momma of:

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Cat Addict

^^Quaker kitties!!!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Jr. Cat

Good question! I wondered about this for years, too. Then it dawned on me earlier this year, when I first saw a cat give birth and chew the umbilical cord. I think they're instinctively trying to cut the cord.

Timely question for me, too. A cat chomped my mouse cord in two yesterday morning, so I bought a new wireless mouse (which goes in a drawer when I'm not using it, so it doesn't become a hockey puck).
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Premier Cat

Because they can? I've had a number of "wire chewers" over the years. I think it starts out when they're teething as kittens. They find it feels good and then they just keep doing it, and it becomes an obsession. You can buy "wire covers" to protect them, or spray them with vinegar or "Bitter Apple" (available at pet stores). The danger is having them chew off pieces and then swallow them, which may perforate their intestines. My girl doesn't chew wires but her obsession is shoe laces! I had to buy sneakers with velcro tabs or elastic. She's never outgrown her obsession and got locked in hubby's closet by accident the other day, and yep chewed his shoelaces. Now I have to watch for signs of a blockage! (groan!)

Last edited by catloverami; 01-03-2011 at 01:29 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Cat Addict

Wires. Yes, Miu prefers the thin type of wires and has chewed up a number of them that were attached to various electronic devices that have been rendered useless. Oh well. We love her anyways.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Premier Cat

Mow's obsessed with the laptop cord. He's always grabbing at it and biting it. I worry about him electricuting himself though and shoo him away all the time.

I keep picturing the scene from the Chevy Chase movie "Christmas Vacation" where the cat fries itself on the christmas lights cord.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Cat Addict

I think they probably start chewing out of curiosity or boredom, and continue because they like the sensation of puncturing the outer part of the wire with their teeth. Think about it, most kitties eat soft food or kibble which gets swallowed without much chewing. They probably enjoy chewing on something with more resistance.

We give Gracie drinking straws to munch on (I checked, they are not made of that nasty plastic with BPA in it), and she will methodically chomp on a straw from one end to the other, making tons of punctures...She seems to get the same pleasure chewing straws as she does chewing on the little bones in the raw quails we give her.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page