Cat that pees moving to my other house where there's already a cat... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cat that pees moving to my other house where there's already a cat...

This is a really long and complicated story...

I have two cats, however they've never met. One has lived at my father's apartment his whole life and the other has lived at my grandparents house most of her life.

Blacky lives at my grandparents house."Grandparents house" translates to "my home" - I've always thought of this place as my home, I lived here when I was younger and I live here now. Even when I didn't live here, I was here almost every day.

Blacky is between 10-12+ years old and was a semi-feral that took over a year for me to tame from the outdoors, she's very special to me, and we've had her for 8 years. She's totally my cat and I don't want to do anything to upset her. The house is HER house - well, her and the dog's. Blacky is an indoor/outdoor cat and comes and goes as she likes. Mostly she is content being indoors but she wants the option to go out when she likes. When you try and keep her inside when someone or something is in the house she doesn't like, she just isn't happy. Ever. There's the "fight or flight" mentality and she is 100% of the flight variety.

She does not like other cats from what we've seen. She does not like my aunt, or any of the cats my aunt has owned, no matter how long they are over here or how long they are exposed she isn't happy and will stay outside most of the time.

Then there's my other, more troublesome, cat:

The cat at the apartment, Blaze, was a feral kitten. He's now 15 years old. It took about a year for him to feel fully at ease in the apartment and even at a few years old his personality was still changing around us for the better. He's VERY scared of strangers and of leaving the apartment ... and yeah, the deal breaker: pees on anything soft. The redeeming factor is, he is the most lovable cat ever to the people he knows.

We've tried a lot of things to stop the peeing over the years. The one thing we could not try was to shut him in a room at the apartment with just a littler box to force him to use it, the whole apartment is carpeted and besides the bedrooms and single bathroom there are no doors. The one time we tried this in the bathroom he scratched at the door so much his paws began to bleed. We didn't try again.

We moved Blaze into the house on the 24th of December. The reason Blaze is at the house now is because we've been living here. We want to fix up the apartment - maybe to rent, so he's now in the laundry room at the house. Having an apartment while living at a house is insane. It's a LONG story, and I really am not going to get into it. For a while we didn't known what to do with Blaze since he's so scared of strangers and just going out of the apartment causes him to pee in his box he's so scared. Plus we had Blacky at the house and we didn't think she would be all that welcoming... but keeping Blaze at the apartment alone was not fair to him and visiting him daily was a chore.

When we brought Blaze over was the same day my aunt and her cat came to stay for over a week. Blacky hardly came inside as usual, but we weren't sure how much of that was related to Blaze also being in the house. Once my aunt left, it seems Blacky began acting normal once again - she must be used to Blaze's scent. We've smelled like him as long as she's known us. The one time she saw him as I was opening the door to visit with him, she hissed. Besides that she acts like he isn't even here, since she never sees him... although when she hears Blaze scratching at the door (he does this a bit if it's quiet in the house and he hears my voice) she gets a little upset.

The laundry room isn't really small, it even has a large long window looking to the front yard, but I still feel terrible having him in there when he's used to an apartment to roam. It's got five doors leading to it; One to the outdoors (never used), one to a "junk" room (used to be a bedroom, we might tear out the carpet and let him in there too or maybe use it as a test room), one to a small bathroom (he can walk around in there too), one to the enterance hall, and one to the room where Blacky eats and sometimes sleeps and where her cat door is located.

The good news is, Blaze has been using his litter box in the laundry room the last two weeks, nowhere else. There is no carpeting in the room and besides the comforter he sleeps on nothing soft is left on the floor. The only other soft thing in the room is a lightly padded wooden chair he likes sitting on. I never thought he would pee on hard floor so this isn't all that surprising.

Now I'm not sure what to do. There's the Blaze's peeing issue conflicting with him wanting to spend time with us, and then there's Blacky's attitude of being so put out by other cats that she leaves home. While Blacky seems used to his scent, she isn't used to him. I don't if I should try starting to introduce them or not - I don't want her to feel put out of her own home.

Should I start feeding Blacky directly beside the door to the laundry room? I don't want her to suddenly go "OMG another cat! I'm outta here!" ... at the moment, she spends time in the room beside his contently as long as she doesn't see or hear him. I don't even know if we are ever going to get to a stage were we'll trust Blaze to live in the house so I don't know if I should try with introductions. He would have to pass a lot of tests and he's had his whole life with this bad habit.

In the long run we aren't sure if this set-up will last. Is there a suggested time frame for how long we should leave him in the laundry room with him consistently using the litter box before we try bring him to other areas of the house? If we start trusting him in other areas and then he starts peeing in them and we end up putting him back in the laundry room... well, he wouldn't understand why he can't go in those rooms he's now used to and might go back to scratching his paws bloody like he did in the bathroom that one time. As it is, when he hears my voice down stairs if it's quiet at night he wants out to see me even though he's scared of the rest of the house. Last night was the first time he was relaxed enough to play with his toys while I was there. He's doing well, adjusting and for the most part, and seems happy. Blacky seems happy too now that my aunt is gone. I don't know where to go from here though. Should I just leave things as they are for now? It's pretty complicated.

Suggestions, tips, encouragement, things you think I should be doing differently, let me know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Premier Cat

Since they're both avoiding meeting each other. I would just leave things alone, and not try to force anything. At their ages they are set in their ways and not likely able or want to have anything to do with each other. I would just let them be, and let them sort out where they want to be. It would be different if either was very aggressive and went after the other to start fights. But this isn't the case here, and I doubt that will happen. They will likely just avoid each other and seek out their own comfort zone. Leave Blaze in the laundry room, but let him have access to the other rooms if he wants it. Try and spend quality one on one time with Blaze so he doesn't feel too lonely or that you've abandoned him.

Let us know how things work out.

Last edited by catloverami; 01-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hey, thanks for replying! So far things are going well, we haven't changed anything from what was mentioned above.

At first I was thinking about introducing them, but as sweet as Blaze is I don't think Blacky would go for it.

The dog goes in there a few times a day with us and loves seeing Blaze. Heh, she'll tears out all his blankets out and just sits there wagging her tail at him, meanwhile, he's just sitting there currled up looking at her like "why'd you do that?". Or he'll be sitting on the chair and the dog will go nose to nose with him. It's pretty cute seeing them get along.

While it isn't an ideal situation, both the cats seem happy the way things are, and we do spend time with Blaze, anything was better than him at the apartment alone most of the day.

My grandfather still hasn't seen him though, whenever he goes down there the cat is hidden away.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

A mini update, more just to share a kinda funny story:

Yesterday morning, around 8 am, I hear Blacky meowing in the entrance hall, sometimes she does this before she runs up the stairs (like she wants to make sure I'm upstairs before she bothers to run up) so I called out to her. In response I hear Blaze start hollering, which is really unusual, since he's stopped meowing at the door completely. He was meowing a lot though and sounded upset, so I got out of bed to see what on earth was going on...

Well, Blacky had trapped a little mouse right by the door to Blaze's room! Blaze must have known what was going on on the other side of the door because he wanted out! Meanwhile, Blacky was meowing too, all happy about this mouse she had cornered, and she didn't care at all that Blaze was meowing a lot and LOUDLY right on other side of the door. That's the part of the story where I go "Yay! Blacky was totally oblivious to Blaze!" ...

Anyway, so I call to my dad and say "There's a mouse in here!" and my dad responded "I know, it's dead!" I was really confused, because clearly this one was alive, after a little back and forth with him, letting know that yes, it's alive and what are you talkig about it isn't dead... turns out, there was another mouse my cat had brought in at 5 am and my dad hadn't got to until it was dead. It was really early so he'd just left the cat to play with it (eh, I never would have...) after he realised it was a second mouse she'd brought in, we tried to get it out the front door, but it ran under a different door and we couldn't find it... sadly, later on, we found a dead mouse in the room where it had run to... and then a third one, as well. God knows where she found three mice -- we didn't even know about the third one until it was dead, we only knew about two of them!

We were mouse-free today so I hope that's the last of them.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page