What happens if I add 4 kittens to the 4 I have + other ?s - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What happens if I add 4 kittens to the 4 I have + other ?s

I need some advice and have some questions. I hope this section of the forum is OK for my thread as I do have some questions on behavior. I'll try to be brief...

I have a stray litter of 4 kittens (3 females, 1 male). They are about 7 months old. I've had no luck in finding homes for them (I've tried for months). I've tried putting up fliers, asking friends, relatives, and no one is interested. I've checked at one local shelter a few times but they are always full and they are also not a no kill shelter. There are two other shelters nearby (both no kill) but I've had numerous people tell me they wouldn't take an animal to either one.

I'm in the process of having the kittens spayed, neutered, and given their shots, etc. I was putting off doing this hoping to find them homes but I couldn't wait any longer. The spaying/neutering, etc is costing about $450.

I'm considering a couple options from where to go from here...

If I try another round of flyers (at a few Vet's offices, etc), what is a reasonable price to ask for each kitten (I'm in Central PA)? One shelter charges $70 for cats over 7 months and the only thing they have that mine don't is the ID microchip (mine have also been fed a mix of the best moist and dry food). The money isn't a huge issue but I've read that people place a higher value on the cats if you charge something as opposed to giving them away. I also REALLY care about what happens to these kittens and want to make sure they find a great home. I won't just give them to anyone (although I've turned no one down) and I do not want to give them to someone who will declaw them.

My other option is keeping them. I have 4 cats already. Vincent and Holland are 6 years-old. Leo and Caesar are 2 years-old and Caesar had seizures from the time he was a few weeks old but they are under control. Vincent and Leo have been having major territory issues for the last year. They got along OK in the beginning but then Vincent (who was here first) started not allowing Leo to roam freely around.

Would bringing 3 females and another male into the mix be a roll of the dice as to how my other cats react? Could it make the Vincent-Leo territory thing better or are the chances that the new cats would be subjected to the same treatment as Leo? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks for any advice anyone has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Cat Addict

I would actively continue to try to find homes for them. You don't mention if you tried Petfinder.com, Craigslist.com or any other pet adoption site. I would try those. You could also look into spay/neuter/vacination programs for people with financial dificulties (having 4 kittens to take care of may help your "status" for these programs). Getting these things done (jabs and spay/neutering) will make it MUCH easier to adopt these guys out.

As to adding them to your household... It will be a BIG jump in responsibilities (food, litter, vets, cleaning) to make at one time. You will need to talk to other people who have large numbers of cats (5+).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Premier Cat

First of all I suggest you read the thread under "Cat Chat": Stressed not sick! Article backs up what intuition tells us...

If I were in your shoes, I would not add the 4, as you're already having some stress issues with your present cats, and this would likely increase.

I agree that you should charge something for the costs you've incurred for neutering/spaying, shots, maybe not $70 since they aren't microchipped but something a bit less. One advantage you might emphasize in your flyers is that you're cats have been very well cared for and well socialized....describe their personalities. This is the advantage yours have over those that may be in rescue or humane society, as they've had more one-on-one attention. Have you tried the free advertising on Kijiji or Craigslist? Have good pics of them in your ads or flyers, with them looking into the camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with the prior posters -- adding another 4 cats to the mix would not be wise, given the current issues with your existing cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page