Question About Cat In Heat - - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Question Question About Cat In Heat -

As you all know from a previous post Satin is in heat, along with the yowling, rubbing on everything, rolling on the floor, and of course peeing everywhere.

My question is - how mean is it to keep her in the back bedroom (minus a bed more of a storage room at this point) - which was her transition room, and where she usually spends her nights on her favorite spot. It's a medium size room and of course has litter box, food, water, lots of sunshine and toys.

I have an appointment on Monday to get her spayed - until then is it ok to keep her in the back room?

I allowed her out today for a couple of hours and before I knew it - she peed on the one sofa she hadn't marked yet - it's getting frustrating even though I know she is only doing what is her nature to do.

Tuffy gets restless from her howling and chasing him down. She doesn't understand of course that he is fixed and therefor can't fix her problem - so to speak. She rolls in front of him everywhere he tries to go and lifts her tail and everything for him.

Last night I put her in the back just so Tuffy could have some rest - she wouldn't even let him nap. AND while in the back room her behaviour improves drastically. She has not yet peed back there, nor does she do that horrible yowling. I dont' understand that.

And again the main question - am I a mean cat mommy to keep her in that room til Monday? I of course go back to spend time with her and Tuffy goes in too so she is not shut alone all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Cat Addict

There's not much else you can do. I've shared a house with a cat in heat.

Does the vet doing the spay know she's in heat? They usually like to avoid operating when the cat is in heat because of the inflamation and additional bleeding.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yes the vet knows and said it was ok --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

IMO it would be less stressful for all involved, including her to be put in the backroom until Monday.

She must know you're agitated with her and I don't blame you for being Tuffy is suffering as well and her being that near to Tuffy and him not helping her out has to be driving her nuts....

Just seems wiser to keep her seperated. You can go visits her lots and read in there so she doesn't get too lonely.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Just seems wiser to keep her seperated. You can go visits her lots and read in there so she doesn't get too lonely.
I agree with this. It will also make it easier to crate her for the vet visit and it will probably help to separate them before her surgery so they don't get too distressed when you have to keep her confined for a few days after the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page