mom/kitten reintro prob + mom acting weird/in pain? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Unhappy mom/kitten reintro prob + mom acting weird/in pain?

I'm starting a new thread because now that the5 kittens are gone and we are left with mom and her older 6+ month old kitten we have new problems.

Quick recap: mom is a feral we managed to get in my house with her two kittens. A few weeks after she was here she gave birth to 5 kittens. We separated her from her two older kittens and she was therefore only living with her 5 kittens for 3 months. We just took her kittens away two days ago.

OK, so mom has been crying and looking for her kittens around the room. When she does this I open the door and use a baby gate to separate her from her older kitten, which she hasn't seen in like 3 mom. They seemed to be interested in each other to the point that one would come near the gate and look for the other if they couldn't see them.

Mom has been more curious and sometimes when she is crying I go in the room and she is waiting by the door and she stares at the door where she knows Mitzuke is in. I open the door and they stare at each other for a while.

All was going good and all of a sudden today Mitzuke (that's the kitten) started hissing at mom. She came near the fence (mom was sitting on the other side) and she stared at her and all of a sudden she hissed at mom. I don't know what happened! I was there like always so I don't know WHY she did that. Poor mom still looked for Mitzuke every chance she got but Mitzuke was gone and didn't want to come near the fence again (she climed on my bed and went to sleep)

What's going on?? What can I do?? I feel horrible for mom. At least Mitzuke likes to play with us and she lets herself be rubbed but mom has nothing and noone. She's not used to us yet so she won't let us touch her at all and she has hissed at us a few times. She does however eat out of our hands if she gets hungry but soon as you try to touch her she stops and hisses and goes away. So all we can do is be with her in the room to keep her company and we feel so bad that we can't help her.

To make matters worse she started rolling on the floor. She still cries but now she's doing this (here are a couple of videos I just took)

She did this a couple of times when she still had her kittens so I don't know if it's just something she does because, like I said, she's done it before. Except now she's started doing it a lot more for the last couple of hours.

What's wrong with her? Is she in pain?

In case it's relevant, her older kitten is spayed. Mom isn't since we were waiting till we took her babies away. Oh and we tried to get her in a crate to take her to a vet to have her spayed and she almost clawed my hand off. We tried putting food in the crate but she wouldn't go for it. We tried to grab her with a towel and that went horrible. She's feral so I think that trying to get her to a vet is not a possibility yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Cool Cat

I'm about to go to bed, so I didn't read (or watch) everything.
But about the last paragraph... do you have a live/humane trap? I had to set one in my bedroom to catch a feral to take her to the vet to get spayed. Put food/bait in it, then went into the living room to read a book and wait - pretty soon, "SNAP" went the trap door, and we were all set

I didn't trap Disco to bring her inside. I put food just inside the doorway, and shut the door behind her. But even after 2 weeks of being inside, I still couldn't catch (or even pet) her. Now when I go out to the feeding station, she's all over me for attention...go figure!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Cat Addict

Is she showing signs of going into heat again? Besides calling for her kittens that is the only other thing I think she could be doing. Did she start doing this as soon as you took the kittens away or just in the last day or so?

If she has gone into heat again, that could be an explanation of the older kitten's behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

@Vivid - I don't have one of those. All I have is 3 regular crates.

@raecarrow - I noticed she did this once or twice even when her 2 month old kittens were with her. She hadn't done it again until a couple of hours ago. Someone told me she could have fleas? She won't let me touch her so how can I find out?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Cool Cat

Okay, I'm staying up just a little longer, just for you!

I am not an expert, but with my limited knowledge, I would have to agree with racearrow. I've heard cats can go into heat as soon as they start weaning kittens, which is about 6-8 weeks, and it's been 12 already.
The way she's rolling, suggests she is in heat... when she rubs her cheeks against the floor, that's because she's trying to leave her scent marking on the ground (for tomcats to find/follow).

If she were in real pain (she's probably not very comfortable right now, though, because of heat), she would act much different. She wouldn't be moving as much, and probably stick to a more hidden area of the room.

Again, racearrow is right that the kitten might be sensing a change in mommy.
I would figure if they're not lunging at each other, or really growling/yowling, it may be safe to remove the gate for supervised visits, longer and longer (hour, couple hours, half a day, etc.) times. Sort of like an introduction with cats who don't know each other at all.
A'course, if it IS the heat thing that's annoying both of them, maybe introductions should wait until all that is calmed down! LOL

Okay, NOW I'm going to bed ^_^
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
@Vivid - I don't have one of those. All I have is 3 regular crates.
*semi-joking* If you wanna pay for shipping, I'll let you borrow mine! I won't use it until at least March

(I forgot how much shipping is, but it probably weighs at least 5 pounds)

Maybe the local shelter/pound will let you rent one of theirs?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much Vivid! How long does it last? Is it days or weeks? Is there anything my mom and I can do for now or just wait until it passes? She's stuck in the office in my house so no outside cats can get anywhere near her.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Cool Cat

Approximately 3 to 14 days.
Found this with a Google search:

Estrus: This is when the female cat is receptive to the male. External signs such as a swollen vulva or bloody discharge, are not as obvious in the cat as they are in the dog. The main signs seen are behavioral -- loud vocalizing, rolling on the floor, elevating the hindquarters and possibly a decrease in appetite. Many people have confused the signs of the feline estrus phase as signs of being in pain. Length: 3-14 days (average of one week). If the female is not mated, she may go back into heat within several days.

Interestrus:The period between estrus cycles if the female isn't bred. Length: 2-3 weeks.

Paizly was in heat for a week. A'course, I got her spayed a week after she started symptoms.
I don't want to scare you, but this is her story. She was yowling and acting uncomfortable like they should. However, suddenly she wouldn't let me touch her (most cats get extra snuggly when in heat), and cried in REAL pain if I picked her up. Panicked, as you are, I called the vet to try to get her in right away. They wouldn't, as they were all booked up, and her appointment had already been scheduled for the next week, and I was just told to wait.
When I finally got her in, and the vet did the surgery, he said her uterus was totally infected and filled with puss - if I hadn't got her in then, it likely would have burst and she could've died in a couple weeks.

SO! Just in case, do your best to catch kitty and get her in for fixin'!
Maybe use a "drop trap". A box that's heavy enough she can't rush out of again, and prop it up with something like a stick (though I used an empty paper towel roll!) and tie a string to it. Go away from the trap, holding the other end of the string... when she goes to eat the bait food, yank the string so the prop goes and the box falls down and traps kitty. I used an upside down wagon with the wheels taken off, because that had been Zinny's favorite hiding place anyway!

Okay, bed now... for realz!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much! I'm going to call a rescue group down here to ask if they have a trap they can lend me. If not then I'll try what you did (that was a great idea by the way)

I want to get her to a vet ad I hope she's ok. I'm calling everywhere tomorrow. Have a good night and thanks so much for helping.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Premier Cat

From what you describe and I couldn't see her very well on the video as it was so dark, it sounds like she's back in heat. Mitzuke sensed or smelled her and that's why she reacted by hissing and running away. Just hope she isn't one of these queens who stay in heat for 10 days, have a week or so off and then is back in heat again. But she sounds like she could be one since she got pregnant so quickly again before this last litter she had. Just a thought.... If you can't trap here, you could ask the vet if it would be possible to tranquilize her to get her into a carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page