My cat has dissapeared - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat has dissapeared

I wrote a post yesterday about having problems with my female cat and the new cat flap, but now my other cat has run away... 2 nights ago we left the cat flap unlocked, to see if they would use it more (it's an infrared one and it makes a lot of noise), but other cats got inside the house and my cat must has got very scared (he's very timid). He's been gone for more than 24 h now and I'm terrified something has happend to him. (If you didn't read my previous post we moved 3 weeks ago, the cats were inside for 2 weeks)

I'm been out in the neighbourhood calling from him, but no result. I've also been to our old neighbourhood (about 6 miles away) just in case he has gone back there... is this possible?

I don't know what to do, I'm haven't gone to work today , just want to be here to see if he comes back, but i'm really stressed and worried.

Thanks for any advice..

Last edited by londoncat1974; 01-06-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Kitten

Is he microchipped? Obviously call any and all vets, animal shelters, and animal rescue groups within a fairly wide radius around both neighborhoods.

Read this:
Recovery Tips: Lost Cat Behavior | Missing Pet Partnership

And also check out:
http://www.petamberalert.com/
Tabby TrackerŪ - Where Lost Cats Call Home

I will say that our family has always had cats, and they have always had the freedom of a cat door. I think every single cat has at some point gotten lost for anywhere from 2-5 days. In every instance, after days of panic and sleepless nights a frazzled, hungry, upset little kitty would show up on the back porch and bolt for the food dish upon entering the house. The most recent addition to my mother's house just did this about 6 months ago. This first getting lost moment has always been the last - the cats stay close to home and don't wander so much after the experience. My family actually tried to make the last cat an indoor-only cat to avoid this sort of thing, but there was an older resident cat who had always had outdoor access and would come in smelling like outside. The new cat literally went nuts until everyone gave up and allowed her to also have cat-door access.

I will truly be hoping for the best for you, and a swift return of your cat. Please do post updates!

Last edited by DevonsOhMy; 01-06-2011 at 06:37 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

No, he's not microchipped, they usually have tags with our address and phone nos on them, but this happened just the day before the new tags arrived, so I couldn't put it on him.

It's been raining since then so I think he might be somewhere dry, and really hope that he comes back this weekend.

I'm really worried and can't stop crying thinking of the bad things that might have happened, and I feel very guilty because we moved houses and everything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

It's possible that he would return to your old neighborhood, since he would view it as his territory. I once had a primarily outdoor cat (some 30 years ago) and she continually returned to our prior neighborhood after we moved. If you're friendly with some of your former neighbors, you might ask them to keep an eye out for him and call you if they spot him. I wish you the best of luck in finding him.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Cool Cat

I would call/visit your neighbors in the old neighborhood and let them know your cat might be seen around there.

A few months ago, my ex-husband's cat showed up at my door, because she figured "old" home was where she's supposed to be.
His parents were supposed to be taking care of her (as the ex moved hundreds of miles away), and they live across the street and down a few houses from me. As I didn't want the cat crossing the street all the time to come back, I just take care of her here now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Tom Cat

If your cat is an indoor cat, I suggest you wait until dark when things get quiet and go out to look for him. He probably hasn't gone very far.
If he did go out before, how far away was your previous residence?
I would also suggest you leave food out for him in multiple places and then after some time has passed, set up traps with food in them where you had been feeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

It's an outdoor cat, he hated the 2 weeks we kept them inside to get used to the new house. The old house is about 6 miles away, I'm planning to go and talk with the neighbours this weekend, he was very friendly with the neighbours next door and their 2 kids.

I tried to leave food outside, but the other cats in the neighbourhood eat it, it lasted like 10 minutes this morning!! I think he's very scared of these other cats, and I don't think he feels safe in this house yet... I really hopes he comes back, I'm having a really bad time.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Kitten

Have you tried putting up fliers around the neighborhood (both old and new)? If you put up a picture of your cat with a number to call, someone might spot him.

If it's any comfort, one of family's cats when I was a kid got out and went missing for 3 days, only to return completely safe and sound. Lots of cats are able to return home after going missing; I hope your cat is one of them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Cat

Oh man. This happened a little less than a year ago to one of mine. How'd he get back? He literally returned on his own. I had my other cat secured in an upstairs bedroom with food, water, and litter box (not right next to each other), and I stayed downstairs with the back door wide open for a few hours (I live in a safe neighborhood, and fortunately the weather was relatively mild that week). I did this both the second and third nights he was out. On the third night, he returned! All that work I did putting up flyers, talking to neighbors, and trying to catch him when I spotted him--ha, he came on his own!

That's not to say, of course, that you shouldn't put up flyers or talk to people. All that definitely increases your chances of a return. But I've heard that cats sometimes just return on their own.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Cool Cat

When my indoor cat went missing, I put flyers up and also did a letter box drop with photos of him, my contact details and some infor about him. We walked the streets and put the little leaflets in everyone's mail boxes. He was gone for 3 days and I was devastated, I was so worried something had happened to him. On the 3rd night, I got a call from a neighbour just two doors up, who had found his dog had pinned him down in their yard (luckily he was okay!).
He did have a tag on his collar but I do think the letter box drop helped as most people just assume a cat lives nearby when they see it in the street, if someone has received something in their letter box, they will be more likely to take more notice of a cat in the street. That's my opinion anyway.
I really hope he comes home soon. It might be worth doing a letter box drop/flyers in your old area as I have heard of cats travelling distances to return to their previous home. Good luck.

Bec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page