Food Bowl Flipping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Food Bowl Flipping

I've got a weird situation with my cat Dax. He and his brother Goober each have their own plastic food and water bowls, which are about an inch deep and 5 inches across. Goober is very good about keeping his neat and clean, but Dax has recently started to be kind of a pain in the butt. He eats a few bites, walks away, then comes back and paws at the bowl until he flips it over. Of course, this scatters the dry food he has in there and lands the wet food on the wood floor. After he does that, he really chows down and eats everything he spilled. If the food stays in the bowl though, he's not as interested in it unless he's really hungry.

At first I thought maybe he just didn't like the dish-washing liquid I used, so I changed it to another brand, but had no luck. I also tried an experiment where I put some of the food on the floor instead of in the bowl and he went right to it.

My question is, what could be causing this behavior? He's 10 months old and this has been going on for a couple of months. Does he not like the shape of the bowl? I was thinking of trying a flat plate and seeing if that made a difference. It's pretty strange. I obviously don't like him eating off the floor if it can be avoided.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Premier Cat

Try a flat plate. I bet he doesn't like the feel of the sides of the bowl against his whiskers.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, he probably either doesn't like the bowl against his whiskers or is having trouble getting food out. I've not dealt with this with my cats, but my pomeranian does this when i give him a bowl of ice, because he can't get it out of the bowl easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Premier Cat

Many cats don't like to get their whiskers wet or have things brush against them, although I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue with a bowl only an inch deep. Still, it doesn't hurt to try a flat plate to see if that helps. I wish you luck.

Many years ago, I had a toy poodle who would take all of his kibble (all 40 or 50 pieces) and painstakingly line them up in a long row, one by one. Then and only then would he eat them. Drove us nuts!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Premier Cat

My ex husband's cat has a thing about his tags brushing the food bowl. If he heard the tags hit the bowl or plate he would avoid the food.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Kitten

My cat used to do that exact thing, but she stopped when we starting put her food on a small plate instead of in a bowl. I'm not sure why she has such a strong preference, but for some reason it made a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! I tried a flat plate and it works a little better, but Dax still tries to turn it over. He just can't because it's much heavier than the bowls. I guess he's just a little quirky. =) He's also recently started playing with my toes in the middle of the night, so maybe he's just in a rebellious phase right now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Kitten

I got 2 of these 1/2 pint size feeders for our flippy 10-month old...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Kitten

Are you sure your other cat doesn't eat his food? my cat loves eating, but if any other cat touches his plate, he WILL NOT eat in it. Around it, yes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That's an interesting thought. Goober does like to eat out of Dax's bowl when he's done with his own food. I usually try to shoo him away, but it's hard when I'm not home. I'll have to keep an eye on exactly when he flips the bowl. If it does happen after Goober eats out of it, what can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page