Friendly cat gone bad!? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Friendly cat gone bad!?

Well, there are three cats in my parents house at the moment. Two visitors, Moria (1 year) and Rum (3 years), and one resident cat, Oliver (5 years).
Rum is my sister's cat and he stays over every now and then. He and Oliver get along OK and up to now, Rum was a happy go lucky cat that loved everyone and wasn't aggressive at all.
Moria's new, I brought her to my parents house for the first time 3 weeks ago.
Now, Oliver is ok with everything: he loves being outside and there he's the king. Everyone respects him.
But the two visitor cats are having problems lately. At first Rum tried to play with Moria but she was frightened (he's really big compared to her) and lately Rum has changed his friendly mood into total aggression. He hisses at her constantly and runs behind her trying to hit her, corners her and would probably do some big damage if I didn't stop him.
I wonder why the change of attitude? They both are "inside the house cats" and Moria loves eating Rum's food (I try to avoid it, though). Also, Rum is used to lots of attention and now he doesn't have as much.
Anyway, any suggestions on how I can make Rum less aggressive and back to his friendly self?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Premier Cat

It does seem a bit strange that sometime-visitor Rum has decided to be a bully when he wasn't before. It could be that Moira is new and he thinks it's one cat too many for his comfort? Maybe he resents Moira for eating his food? Who knows what goes on in the mind of a cat. Try feeding Moira in separate rooms so she isn't eating his food, and she's nervous of him anyway. You say Rum is "used to lots of attention and now he doesn't have as much". Can someone give him more attention and petting or playing with him? Moira sounds like she is upset with all the changes---different house, new cats. It may be better just to separate Rum and Moira in different rooms since they are just visiting. Most cats don't like changes and are happiest with a set routine, fed at same time every day, very little travel unless they have been used to it since kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page