Emma's in heat and she can't be spayed! Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Emma's in heat and she can't be spayed! Help!

So my Emma has a diaphragmatic hernia and may not can even have the surgery if I could afford it, as two docs have said that it's very, very complicated and she may not make it through; so that's one thing. My latest issue is that when I took her to get her spayed, I then found out that no vet would touch her because of her "issues," being the breathing issue when putting her under. So she can't be spayed now. Dear God, help me. Or just shoot me! I don't know which.

Three weeks ago she was in heat for the first time, and now it's her second cycle. I don't know who's more miserable, me or her. But she's just pitiful. So the vet suggested this to fool her into thinking she's mated; to take the end of a pencil eraser and gently tap her little rear area back there a few time, nothing inserted at all, but it's just supposed to stimulate them into thinking they've mated and with any luck, they'll go out of heat.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? And if so, does it work? If not, do you think it's okay to try it? I feel strange about this, but if it would help her, or the both of us, I might be willing to try it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any other ideas? Why can't they just make a pill!

KK (Tiger and Emma's Best Friend & Keeper - Because of them, my world is a happier place.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKdaniels View Post
to take the end of a pencil eraser and gently tap her little rear area back there a few time......
@[email protected]

I think I'll stick to the boy cats where I can just give them a shove and say "Put that thing away!"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKdaniels View Post
I don't know who's more miserable, me or her. But she's just pitiful.
I know what you mean - one time we had to go out and get a hotel room for a night so we could get a good nights sleep. But my wife knew someone at the hotel and they gave us the room for free.

In our case we were able to have her spayed, so that problem won't come up again. I had read about a Q-tip procedure that is kind of of like what you describe, but we never seriously considered it, so I can't really say much about the pros and cons.

Can you keep the kitty in a different room at night so you can at least get some sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
@[email protected]

I think I'll stick to the boy cats where I can just give them a shove and say "Put that thing away!"
HA! Absolutely! Come to think of it, we didn't even know if she was a boy or a girl until we got her home. We rescued her from the side of the road, so we had no choice!

KK (Tiger and Emma's Best Friend & Keeper - Because of them, my world is a happier place.)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Cool Cat

You have my full sympathy. My Satin just spent over a week in heat and believe me - it was miserable for us both. She went today to get spayed... good luck with yours.. I hope you get something figured out.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonces33 View Post
I know what you mean - one time we had to go out and get a hotel room for a night so we could get a good nights sleep.
Can you keep the kitty in a different room at night so you can at least get some sleep?
I'm about at that point! I just had her in the bathroom, and she cries worse in there than if she's out. This seems to be a no-win situation right now.

I wouldn't dare insert anything inside her. I wouldn't go there either. I've heard of what you're talking about, and that's not a consideration for me at all. Maybe someone else will chime in. Thanks!

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I hope I figure something out soon too, Jan, or we'll both be crazy.

The first time she was only in heat for four days, so not too bad, but today is day four, and I've got a feeling it's going to last longer this time. Do you know how many times she'll go in and out of heat? I know it's usually during the spring and fall, right? But how many times, like how long will this go on? Any idea? She's trying to find a way to crawl through the glass in my bedroom window right now. Oh, Lordy! This is serious.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't 'relieve' her, her hormones will drive her nuts...she can go into multiple heat cycles with barely a break in between because her body needs to mate. She will also drive you nuts. In addition, you risk her getting out to go find some nooky. Her drive to mate will make her very creative about trying to find a way outside. And that will present not only the danger of outdoors, but it sounds as if a pregnancy would be dangerous in her condition. So you need to get over your squeamishness and help her out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Cat Addict

There is a cat just like yours at the group home where I work. When we took this resident's cat to be fixed at the local spay clinic, they said it was too risky because of her breathing issues.

We went to a second vet to see what could be done. This vet said there was a way to put the cat under with less risk, but the cost would be "about $350."
It involved tubing her so she could breathe through the operation. The resident could not afford that.

In fact, this cat, an indoor cat all her life, is 10 years old. As long as I've known her she goes into heat about 10 times a year. It is a miserable time for her and us too. As she gets older she has more and more peeing issues. She will go almost anywhere when in heat.

It is a tough call, but I would save and save and find a vet to safely spay your cat.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
If you don't 'relieve' her, her hormones will drive her nuts...So you need to get over your squeamishness and help her out.
Doodlebug, that's why I posted the question! It's not so much that I'm squeamish about it - although I'm still not too sure about the Q-tip deal yet - but what idea do you have? The Q-tip idea can't be the only one, I would think. I'm by myself with her, so whatever method I use, I need to be able to handle it alone. Not everything is so cut and dry to me. And I'm well aware of the dangers that lurk outside. And of course she cannot handle a pregnancy. I'm desparate; that's why I'm here. Maybe I should try another vet. I want the right answers, though, not just a variety of them. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page