Does the mother forget her offspring? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Does the mother forget her offspring?

I saw something sad yesterday. One of my strays, who has adopted me as her mommy because she's still young, is always afraid of other cats and doesn't go near any of them. Yesterday another cat appeared, who looks just like her but a lot bigger. My stray did something she never does: she went over to the big cat and followed her. To me it was clear that was her mother. Yet the big cat shooed her away and went off. It broke my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Tom Cat

I can attest to mother/kitten relationships. Ginger and her baby truly loved each other even after months of not seeing each other. Pepper has mourned the loss of her mother as well.

How young is the baby? If the baby hasn't been spayed or the mother hasn't been, they are still competition to each other and won't get along.

Leslie
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Cool Cat

What about siblings?

good friends of ours own Simbas brother, they used to have 'playdates' lol, we would bring them over (simba went there, as a kitten), and just watch them play. it basically stopped when they got fixed and couldnt have them all hyper.

A while ago... his brother scooted outside (they live next door), he never runs, just kinda scoots out and looks. Well, they picked him up just for fun and held him up to our open (with a screen) window.

We jokingly said "call your brother", and boom, there was Simba! But, no anger or territory stuff was present at all. i think simba was curious, he meowed at him (which he never does), and looked for him even after butterscotch went inside. Butterscotch was a bit scared/out of his element.... but... nobody was dominant.

Do you suppose they remembered they are brothers? we havent tried indoors at all. simba is such a scardey cat now, and same with butterscotch kind of... so we didnt want to scare them on purpose. That day at the window really got me thinking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Premier Cat

After meeting MowMow my mother went out and got a kitten 6 months ago and my sister in law adopted one from the same litter. I asked my mom the same question about siblings.

My mom kitten sat for Bootsie when my brother/sister in law went to Cancun last month and according to her Zoey was thrilled to visit with her brother. She said that Zoey ran to him right away and they started purring and rubbing against each other right away. Then last week an uncle came to visit my mom and he always insists on bringing his awful dog with him. It's cat aggressive so Mom scooted Zoey off to my brother's house and she said that they had the same reaction again. Purring and trilling and rubbing on each other. (My uncle is in for a great shock if I move back there. When he visits I'm not moving MowMow anywhere and that beast isn't coming anywhere near him).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Cool Cat

I had 2 feral kittens in my house for about a month or so, as they were recovering from URIs and spaying. I didn't get to watch them when I let them back out to the colony (they ran out into the thicket and hid for the day). But now (another month later), their mother comes to the feeding station with them. In fact, she lets them eat first, while she stands back and watches. It's really weird she does that though, because there are enough bowls that she can have her own...but oh well!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The young one is spayed, the other I don't know yet. Maybe it's a sibling or an uncle, hehe.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Update: the big one is male and unneutered. I also see a cat sometimes that looks like the young one's twin, only the 2 spots are in a different place.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Cool Cat

Could be Daddy! LOL

Two of the toms in my colony would "babysit". Both would just lounge around, on either side of the little clearing in which the kittens would play. But if I started coming too close, they would both get up and get on alert mode. The kittens would keep playing as long as I stayed a few yards away.
This happened several times, and I never saw mommy around. If she was around, the tomcats would ignore the kittens. It was kinda nifty to see that part of colony social behavior.

Probably just swatted away the younger kitten, as he wasn't in the mood to be bothered right then?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken View Post
What about siblings?
We have a brother and sister that we adopted together, and it is interesting to see how they interact. They are generally comfortable around each other - I don't see any dominance issues either way. Every so often one of them does something that annoys the other, and then you have a minor spat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page