Cat pooping on the bed! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Cat pooping on the bed!

Hello there! I need some advice about an inappropriate little box problem!

We adopted a 2 year old Ragdoll, Evie, on 1st January, so we've had her nearly two weeks now. She was initially ill with conjunctivitis and the sneezes, but has no overcome this with medicine. Evie has now, however, started to poop on the bed. She started on the spare bedroom bed, but is now doing it on our bed. She even did a poop on the bed whilst we were sleeping in it! As you can imagine, we're really rather worried about this behaviour. Evie is an indoor cat only, she has a litter tray that is accessible at all times- I clean her tray out once or twice per day, so it's always fresh.
She has pooped previously in her tray, once today in fact, whilst also going on the bed! She always urinates in the tray, with no problems. As she is new to us and our home, I am aware that this is likely stress-related behaviour. Evie has been to the vet and she is showing no physical problems. I have ordered a Feliway Diffuser to try and de-stress her!

Has anyone ever experienced a cat showing similiar behaviour? What could be troubling Evie?

We really need some advice on what to do next and try and stop this inappropriate pooping!
Thank you, Abbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Premier Cat

I have no similar experience, so I can only speak to what I've read -- namely, some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box. That might not be Evie's problem, but it might be worth putting down a second litter box, just in case that solves things. It presumably can't hurt.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Cool Cat

My vet recently gave me a handout with some tips and general information about inappropriate elimination (going to the bathroom outside the litter box). You can see that here.

I would suggest that you contact your vet and see what he or she recommends as a first step, as this behavior can sometimes indicate an underlying medical problem.

Best wishes in resolving the situation, it's definitely not a fun one to deal with!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Cat Addict

I hope the linked list says : Try another brand of litter because your kitty doesn't like the texture of that litter.

Welcome to being owned by a Raggie. You will never go to the bathroom alone again.

Has Evie been spayed?

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Tom Cat

as Dave said, try changing the litter. Some cats HATE certain brands of litter and WILL NOT step into it if they don't have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Cool Cat

it covers several ways of "troubleshooting" the problem... and it's only a click away.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you for your replies. The vet did check over Evie's tum, but obviously didn't take a 'sample' for testing, this might have to be the next step- we have an appointment to see the vet next week at the moment anyway.

I've read the leaflet advice, thank you morea.

I've closed the doors to both bedrooms where Evie likes to 'go'. She has since used the tray twice for both types of elimination, so she doesn't appear to have any problems with the tray or litter itself. She hasn't inappropriately eliminated anywhere else in the house- the third bedroom is always open to her, she frequently sleeps in here, but has never toileted in there, she also has free run of the rest of the house with no problems. I've removed the blanket/bedding she used, to eliminate the smell so she doesn't return. I'm also going to buy her a second litter tray tomorrow, and put it in a quieter place to see if that helps.

Dave- Evie hasn't been spayed. We are keen to spay her, but are going to wait until late Feb/March upon the vet's advice to make sure Evie is fully settled in first. I have also noticed she likes to accompany me to the loo! She follows me constantly!

Evie has a habit of meowing, rather loudly, quite frequently- particularly at night. It sounds like a lonely meow, but human company doesn't seem to solve it- I think she might be missing other cats! We adopted her from a multicat household (over 10 cats) so I think she is having difficulty adjusting to being an 'only cat'. Maybe this is affecting her, and she's trying to tell us by her inappropriate elimination habits? So, we are considering getting a second Ragdoll (infact her breeder is selling several of her other adult Ragdoll's, so we could adopt one of her 'sisters'), but we're unsure as to whether this would just unsettle or stress her further?

Sorry this is so long! Thank you all for your help. x
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Premier Cat

Given the loud meowing, could she be in heat and "calling"? If so, then her being in heat will only add to her stress levels.

Both of my girls accompany me to the "loo", and they don't like it if I close the door!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I did wonder if she's in heat! The breeder did say she might start calling as she's in a new environment, poor thing.

Evie's like that, she'll sit meowing behind the door until I let her in.

The Feliway plug-in has arrived, so we'll see if that helps at all, fingers crossed.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
I would say to either keep her confined with her litter box when you can't be around to watch her- bathroom, spare room- or keep the doors closed to the rooms where she's been having accidents. You just want to make sure she doesn't form any patterns or habits with pooping on the bed because once a habit is formed it can be hard to break.

My dog spilled my litter box once, and the litter on the floor caused my cat to poop on the floor. She's been using the floor right next to the box ever since, and I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to stop, but to no avail. She checks out with the vet, our only conclusion is that she's put it into her head that pee goes in the box, and poop goes right next to it. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page