8 year old male peeing all over the house - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

8 year old male peeing all over the house

Hi Everyone,

My 8 year old male, neutered cat, is peeing all over the house. But he isn't just spraying a certain spot, just everywhere. It has gotten worse over the last year. We recently got a puppy a couple of months ago and he isn't very nice to it because the puppy has a lot of energy. Anyways, do any of you have some tips?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Premier Cat

I would take him to the vet to rule out a medical issue, such as UTI. After you know there's no medical issue, you can then start to investigate other potential causes, including problems with the litter box/litter and/or behavioral issues (potentially relating to your new puppy). But, first I'd rule out a medical cause.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Premier Cat

Always wise to rule out any medical issue first just to be sure.

In the meantime, does the cat have any problem getting to his litter tray or is the puppy interfering and interrupting while he's in the tray. If cat only has one tray, another in a different secure location where cat can use it and puppy can't get near it may work. Besides medical issues, cats spray to show dominance and stress. If puppy is bugging the cat a lot, it may be best to have a long leash on puppy tied around your waist (they call that umbilical training) so that you have control of pup at all times. That way you can keep pup from bouncing around too much. Also lots of exercise for the puppy so that he's tired would help pup be more calm in the house. You should be teaching the puppy "leave it" when he bugs the cat and getting him to focus on you. If the pup is well behaved the cat will likely back off. Right now, it seems the cat is trying to discipline the pup to have better manners; that's your job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I would take him to the vet to rule out a medical issue, such as UTI. After you know there's no medical issue, you can then start to investigate other potential causes, including problems with the litter box/litter and/or behavioral issues (potentially relating to your new puppy). But, first I'd rule out a medical cause.
Thank you, I will take him to the vet to rule out any medical conditions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Always wise to rule out any medical issue first just to be sure.

In the meantime, does the cat have any problem getting to his litter tray or is the puppy interfering and interrupting while he's in the tray. If cat only has one tray, another in a different secure location where cat can use it and puppy can't get near it may work. Besides medical issues, cats spray to show dominance and stress. If puppy is bugging the cat a lot, it may be best to have a long leash on puppy tied around your waist (they call that umbilical training) so that you have control of pup at all times. That way you can keep pup from bouncing around too much. Also lots of exercise for the puppy so that he's tired would help pup be more calm in the house. You should be teaching the puppy "leave it" when he bugs the cat and getting him to focus on you. If the pup is well behaved the cat will likely back off. Right now, it seems the cat is trying to discipline the pup to have better manners; that's your job.
The puppy is a yorkie but is in a confined space while we potty train him. He is in his own excursive pen.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, a Yorkie!...well they can be feisty and determined as most terriers are, even tho he'll always be smaller than the cat. Some people make the mistake of not really training toy dogs in obedience and letting them do pretty much what they want because they are so cute and small. But I think they should get as much obedience training as you would give a larger dog. My son had a Yorkie and he was very well trained and behaved.

I think the cat "isn't very nice to it" as you say, because he's trying to exert his dominance over the dog and teach it some manners. If the cat is seeking out the dog and attacking that is something else, and it is wise to keep pup confined for his own protection. Lots of exercise is still the best way to calm the Yorkie. All the best!

Last edited by catloverami; 01-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Oh, a Yorkie!...well they can be feisty and determined as most terriers are, even tho he'll always be smaller than the cat. Some people make the mistake of not really training toy dogs in obedience and letting them do pretty much what they want because they are so cute and small. But I think they should get as much obedience training as you would give a larger dog. My son had a Yorkie and he was very well trained and behaved.

I think the cat "isn't very nice to it" as you say, because he's trying to exert his dominance over the dog and teach it some manners. If the cat is seeking out the dog and attacking that is something else, and it is wise to keep pup confined for his own protection. Lots of exercise is still the best way to calm the Yorkie. All the best!
Thank you! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page