exhausted cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

exhausted cat

i have 7 month old siamese(rocky).....i now take him out for walks, collar and 20 ft small rope.....he stops, looks at me, the fur stands on end, and the way we go...the 25 yd dash..he does this 3 times.....then walks some more, and he is exhausted. .like he is out of breath....cats cannot take much running from what i observe, am i correct...i know its hard on me?

Last edited by ronss; 01-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Cat

short burst of speed hunters, not endurance runners, my baka neko (large lynx point) would go on the two mile walk around the neighborhood with us(on leash) he would walk and run the first 1/4mile and then was content to ride my shoulders the rest of the way...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Cat

also you must remember that cats can't sweat (perspire) to cool themselfs, he may just be stopping to stop from overheating depending on the temp outside at the time.. by the time a cat starts panting like a dog they are hurting..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

he does the panting thing everytime i take him out...its not me that runs...i quess maybe he is trying to run away from the rope on the collar is my quess....i might take the collar off when he gets older
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
he does the panting thing everytime i take him out...its not me that runs...i quess maybe he is trying to run away from the rope on the collar is my quess....i might take the collar off when he gets older
Do you mean that you are literally using a rope attached to a collar to walk your cat? Walking a cat that way is dangerous because it pushes on their windpipe, in a way suffocating them. Your cat may be panting because he cannot breathe. Cats should only be walked with a properly fitted harness made specifically for cats.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Premier Cat

Rocky is gorgeous! I agree with swimkris, I'd use a harness rather than a collar when taking Rocky for a walk.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Rocky is gorgeous! I agree with swimkris, I'd use a harness rather than a collar when taking Rocky for a walk.
okay...i got the body harness out and adjusted it....he hates it, but he will get use to it.. i wish i had a house with big back yard , but its apartment living for me......i think i could allmost let him out to play around without a harness.,,,but just afraid he will bolt out into a cars path..

lot of nice cat pictures here i must say, cats are such loving animals, but people can be very cruel...in phoenix where i live, one sadly made the news one night, someone stuck a sewing needle through its head....some very cruel people around ,,,,,my cat will walk up to anyone....

Last edited by ronss; 01-18-2011 at 04:22 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Senior Cat

let him wear the harness around the apartment to get used to it. try taking the outdoor walks slowly,(stop, sit' pet) if the cat is acting stressed(frightened)go back in.. my baka cat would stick his head into the harness by himself and loved the walk(+ shoulder ride) our scooter cat that we had at the same time it was the harness of paralysis, she would flop over on her side and not move..(you would have to take out for a drag). she was a perfectly happy yard cat and would send the entire day outside..she did not like leaving her territory..(ps we never told baka he was cat)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Cool Cat

He will get used to the harness if he really wants to go outside. Pumpkin used to bite me when I put hers on, but she has learned that it is a necessary evil (plus I give her lots of treats during the process). I know what you mean about the cars though; I live in a townhouse, and both of my cats are terrified of the cars when they drive up. I can occasionally take Pumpkin off her harness because I know that she will run home when scared, but I don't think I'll ever be able to trust Simone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page