Cat peeing again. Anxiety induced? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat peeing again. Anxiety induced?

Back in november we were having peeing issues with one of our female cats because one of my male cats, chex was tormenting her near the litterboxes. This must have caused her anxiety. We had tried everything from more litter boxes, to litter box locations being moved, feliway, etc. So Chex was put on prozac to help calm him down from tormenting the female.

My other male cat, chuck, seems to be tormenting her now. He has never been a cat to do this nor has he ever cared about the female cat at all. This is out of his character. He just seems to follow her everywhere, with an occansional whack to her. She always whacks back. The other male in the house, bear occansionally also attacks her, but not really following her around. The female, sam has now started peeing again. We have caught her directly by setting up a webcam. I am at whits end, we dont want to get rid of a cat, so we are gonna try and see what the vet says, probably give her some anti anxiety medication.

Seperating the cats all the time is hardly desireable, it could be done, but in an apartment it would create a lot of stress. I dont understand why the 3 male cats all seem to torment her, the male cats all seem to get along fine. The living arrangements arent changing anytime soon. Getting rid of the cat isnt a good solution, shes six years old and would end up stuck in a kennel for a long time. I dont want to create any resentment in my current relationship either. Sam is the boyfriends cat.

Any other ideas on how to deal with this? I am completely out of ideas. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Premier Cat

I can only presume that something happened amongst the cats while you were on holiday (re your prior thread) that caused them angst, although I imagine you'll never know for sure, since you weren't around. You could try a short re-introduction of the cats. Separate the female and proceed for a week or two to "introduce" them, as you would if you were bringing a new cat into the household. That's not guaranteed to work, but it's the only thing I can think of, and it's the approach typically recommended when aggression problems develop between cats that have previously gotten along well. You can also try Feliway to see if that has any positive affect.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Premier Cat

O dear, this is too bad that it has restarted again. Has the female, Sam is it? been sick or off her food? Sometimes a cat becomes the object of attack if it is sick or weak. That's why cats are so good at hiding a sickness. I guess it's hardwired into them to attack a weak cat, as then they can take over their territory if they were in the wild. It might be a good idea to have Sam thoroughly checked out by the vet to rule out any illness or weakness that may be there but not apparent to you.

To give her some peace, it would be good to isolate her part of the day or night in a room by herself when you aren't able to supervise. This will give her a chance to relax and not have to be on edge wondering if she's going to get attacked.

If one of the boys goes after her in your presence, immediately walk toward the bully with stomping feed, hard stare and saying a stern "No!" This usually makes a cat run and back off, and shows them that you will not tolerate this behavior, and that you're the "alpha" in the house.

Altho a tranquilizer may even things out, I think you should try some behavioral modification first. I never want to medicate my cats unless it's absolutely necessary. For bully cats, I've never had to do that for either the bully or the victim but have been successful in changing their behavior. You have to balance this type of discipline with lots of loving, interactive play and "good boys" and treats when they are behaving well in the presence of Sam. It works for me, hope it works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Premier Cat

I hadn't read your other post before answering here, but just want to say that picking up Sam and rescuing her isn't always the best solution. That often makes Sam look even weaker in their eyes, and can fuel their jealousy so that they may attack again because she's getting "special treatment".

I had a situation once very similar to yours with a bully cat and his half sister. They had been raised together as kittens but the bullying started after several years of having kittens and after she was spayed. I couldn't pay any attention or talk to her at all or he would attack her out of jealousy. So I had to give her one-on-one loving in a separate room out of his sight and hearing. Her bully died suddenly at age 12 yrs. of an inoperable bladder tumor, and she was a very happy and relaxed cat who lived to 18 yrs.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Sam hasnt been sick at all. Shes eating just like normal.

Catloverami, so do you suggest that we keep the cats seperate when we arent there ? Unless we can be there to watch and correct the behavior? The funny thing is, sam can lay next to just about any of the boys about 3 or 4 feet away, and have no issues. Then the next minute this attacking happens, and that usually results in some sort of peeing.

The cat that is obessed, is never really ignored, hes almost always on my lap when watching tv or gets constant pets. So if its a jealousy issue at all, then i guess the obesssed cat is more needy that the constant pets he gets. hes always underfoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page