Trying my patience... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Trying my patience...

I suffer from serious insomnia so any sleep I get is a major gift. 2 am this morning my cat is charging around the apartment sounding remarkably like an elephant. I have people who live below me so I *try* to keep him quiet between 10pm and 7am (apartment complex quiet time).

I locked him in the spare bedroom(where his litter box and favorite non human bed are). THat worked for about 30 minutes until he started trashing the room and banging on the door to be let out. I let him out before he did permanent damage to something.

He behaved for a little while and then started charging around the apartment again, playing with toys and bouncing on and off the furniture. I locked him in my room with me thinking at least I could hush him when he acted up. NOT. Instead he spent 45 minutes racing back and forth across the bed (of course with me IN it).

6:45 and he's STILL running around the apartment like a freaking nut case. How on earth do you unwind one of these things? I'm fully expecting a complaint made to the apartment complex about the noise from last night. Normally I just have to threaten him with the water bottle and he settles down quietly but this time it just isn't going to happen.

Oh, and of course just as I'm at the end of my rope and ready to gladly STRANGLE him I turn around and he's rolling around on the bed trilling at me and I wind up cracking up...until I reach over to pet him and he leaps across the room, banks off the wall and races down the hallway yowling.... ARGH!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Cat Addict

Okay. Although that wasn't supposed to be funny, I cracked up pretty bad at your description. It sounds like Miu. She's also a nut case and I also have problems calming her down. Actually, I haven't found out how to. She just eventually runs out of steam....and I thought she was psycho.

I also suffer from insomnia and I get that sort of thing too. Cept I got Miu making a nuisance of herself while Rocky the dog chases after her growling or air snapping. Then I got Cap'n Jack by himself in another corner of the room saying 'Mom, I'm hungry, Mom, I'm hungry' over and over again til he's fed. Today he started at 5:30am.

Okay..I just thought of something. Do you play with him and totally tire him out during the day/evening? I figure if you interactively play with him that'll take out the energy and he'll be tired enough to nap/sleep afterwards instead of tearing around.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

Ditto on the insomnia. There are a lot of us out there.

I don't have the heart to keep Murphy out of my bedroom at night, so I agree, I've lost a lot of precious sleep because of his antics. Even having to worry about where I'm putting my feet at the end of the bed is enough to keep me awake.

Have you tried Benadryl? Take 3 of them at night and see how it works. That's pretty much the only reason I'm here today at all.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm ok now. Saturday was my last day of unemployment and I had to call today to find out if they are extending my benefits. If they weren't I'd be packing up my apartment and heading back across the country next week. I was *really* stressed out.

I called and I'm here until April and now, I'm laughing at MowMow's antics. Right after I posted that he came in here and curled up on my pillow and went to sleep.....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Premier Cat

Glad to hear your work continues.

I agree with Alpaca about tiring him out before you got to bed. Does he retrieve? some cats do and will bring back a mousie or paper ball over and over again. An interactive toy like "Da Bird" is good, or make your own with a stick, string, a bunch of feathers tied on the end or strips of material. If you're free feeding with food left down all the time, switch to definite meal times. If he's a kitten, under 8 mos., he needs 3 meals a day, only 2 if he's over that age, plus a late afternoon snack (a few treats). Feed his last meal just before you go to bed. Hope some of these suggestions work for you. You need your sleep!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Senior Cat

It was a full moon last night.. things were a little noisey around here also..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

You'd think he'd be getting more sedate, he's going to be seven this year. I figured I'd have avoided all this busy playing when I adopted an older cat and not a kitten but man...

He actually plays for most of the day. He's not snoozing and then suddenly awake at night. He's playing and racing around almost *all* day and I don't mind it one bit. It's very entertaining.

I did learn that I can NOT feed him right before bed. After he eats he uses the box and then it's boodgekitty time. That means racing around the apartment and yowling for me to chase him. Normally when evening comes he settles down on my bed and sleeps. It's very rare he acts the way he did last night and as i said usually threatening him with the squirt bottle generally settles him down.

Perhaps it was just the full moon last night.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry but that cracked me up!! I can't imagine a cat being so loud that it would bring in a noise complaint.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Cool Cat

This is one of those times that I'm glad I have calm (aka: boring) cats.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Premier Cat

Oh! That was a FUNNY read!

...and then there was THIS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Right after I posted that he came in here and curled up on my pillow and went to sleep.....
AND YOU DIDN'T POKE HIM *AWAKE*!!!!!!!!!! -P

Next time he gets to racing around and you need/want him to stop ... bring out the vacuum cleaner. Just park it in the middle of his run-path. If he won't stop, plug it in and turn it on just enough to cycle up and then turn it off.
If he's like most of my kitties, he'll dive under the couch and be vewy, vewy qwiet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page