How I Wish We Could Speak their Language or They, Ours!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

How I Wish We Could Speak their Language or They, Ours!!!

Last night, I spotted Egypt during her usual routine prior to beating up one of the other cats...my radar immediately went on the alert. So, she began with the usual, hunching up her back, back hair and tail entirely erect, and began side-stepping over to her intended victim, but that was just it. I was perceiving it to be her victim, she was perceiving it to be her playmate

She's been exhiting this behavior for some time and because she's so rough during play, I really thought it was aggressive, but it's not at all. It's how kittens get each other to play socially. I wish I could apologize to her for all the scolding, squirting, and time outs during these past months. I feel terrible and to make it all worse, she still continues to love me unconditionally. I feel like a big doofus for misreading her in such a way. I will confess it's hard not to unless you know what to look for. All their tumbling about always ends up in someone yeowling in submission and Egypt is always on top with that wild kitty look in her eye.

Maybe some extra treats tonight or exclusive couch privileges just for her? I feel as if I need to make this up somehow.

I'd also like to point out that I found the real intent behind this type of behavior from an old cat forum thread so please accept my sincere thanks to all of you who regularly post on this forum for all your great advice...just goes to show it's never too late to learn new things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Just the other day I said to a friend how I wished cats could speak English or we could understand cat.

I'm interested in reading (but not resurrecting) the old thread you spoke of. Can you post a link or otherwise direct me to it. Thanks!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

https://www.catforum.com/forum/37-beh...-sideways.html

I just never woulda thought to look up kitten behaviors since Egypt is 3 years old...I guess I won't remind her though lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

This is actually the original one I had found:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/37-beh...step-jump.html

For some reason when I do searches at home on my mac at home I get different results than on the work PC...go figure!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Cat Addict

Ya know, both Rochelle and Alice do the side-step/jump pounce as well. When they first started doing it, I wasn't sure what to make of it...I thought it was hostile! Rochelle always freaks me out, because when she plays, she puffs herself up, and with the side-jump, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I eventually realized this was normal behavior. I feel bad for the times I did break them up...

I think treats and a night of movies cuddled on the couch sounds like a great idea...anything to make up for breaking up play time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Premier Cat

Thanks for the link. Now I understand what you meant. I call it the "witch dance", because it reminds me of the Halloween cat pictures. Muffs used to do that when she was a kitten. I didn't realize what it was and would always try to stop her, by saying "No". Then, when I adopted Abby, she did it too. When I hired the behaviorist to help me with the difficult introduction with the girls, I asked him what that little dance meant. He laughed and said it means "I want to play". Boy, did I feel stupid for having scolded both of them every time they did their little witch dance! So, you're not the only one who's misinterpreted that one. Extra treats sound like a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page