Please urgent advice re lost cat!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Please urgent advice re lost cat!!

A cat joined my strays' colony a couple weeks ago and he's obviously a very well trained, sweetly natured, house cat. I put up notices everywhere but no one claimed him. He won't survive in the streets, he's too trusting and noble and gentle for the tough feral life. I'm not allowed pets by the landlord, so I can't keep him. My heart breaks each time I put him out to the streets (I've been keeping him for short whiles in my apt. when it's been too cold and rainy).

Must I be strong and shoo him away next time he follows me or waits for me outside the building?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Cool Cat

Oh boy that would break my heart as I know it does yours. Bless you for being as kind as you have been. Is there any way you could help get him adopted? Since he is so well trained, he would have an easier time getting adopted. Since you are not allowed pets, maybe there are rescue groups in your area which could take him in, provide vet care and ensure he is healthy before getting adopted. The other thing, maybe you could "hide" him while trying to get him adopted???

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-22-2011 at 09:34 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Cool Cat

I would also post ads with a pic on the internet such as Petfinder, Craigslist, Humane society lost and found page, etc. You can look at the site's lost section to see if someone has reported this cat missing. And you can also post in the found section and hope that someone claims him. Even if this cat's owner does not have a computer, maybe someone who knows the owner and cat will see it and contact them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you for the quick reply. I really am a bit desperate.

I can't hide him because the super knows and he's terribly mean, he calls my landlord to complain about me for things I didn't do, like wearing high heels in the apt. (I don't even own shoes, only tennis shoes and slippers), imagine if I had a cat...

I have to put up more notices and web ads, yes. I haven't put up enough. But no one has reported him as lost either in the neighborhood or the websites. I've registered at vets around the area, the major animals organizations, etc.

I'm thinking of asking the landlord if he can let the cat stay until I can find the owner or someone to adopt it. But I'm afraid he'll say no and I'll have to dump him in the street. Right now the cat's sleeping next to me, he only wants to be on my knee all the time. He's beautiful and so dependent on people!!! He never uses his teeth or claws, he's so well behaved. And he's used to being held in the same position as a baby to sleep.

My father is very sick in hospital and I have no one else in the world. I really want this cat. But finding another place to live and moving on such short notice is impossible, what with having to work all day and be with my father in the hospital the rest of the time.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I forgot to say - pets are certainly allowed in this building. It's just that landlords don't usually allow pets in the apts. they rent out.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

I would do one of two things if I were in your shoes: keep the cat until I found a new home or shelter that would take him OR ask the landlord for permission to keep him until you find a new home for him.

The second way is by far the least stress-inducing, but only, obviously, if the landlord gives you permission.

If he does, however, who's to say how long it'll take to find the kitty a new home? Maybe even as long as it takes to find yourself a new place that allows you to have pets?

Either way, I think... no, I know (I've done it more than once), as scary as it is, I'd take the risks and bring that kitty inside. No way would I put him back out.

I applaud your compassion!

AC
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Cool Cat

Nobody at the rescue agencies can take him until you find the owner or adopt him? I am sorry about your dad in the hospital. This must be a very stressful time for you. I hope everything works out. Please keep us updated.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here could help???
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Premier Cat

It's quite likely he was left behind when someone moved out. There are WAY too many thoughless and cruel people in the world. I would ask permission of the landlord to foster/house him until you find him a good home. You could hook up with a pet shelter that advertises on PetFinder.com and they could post him there for you while you foster him. Provide pictures and as much info as possible and he should find a new home in no time. I have found most of my cats on PetFinder.com.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, I asked the landlord and he gave me 1-2 weeks to get rid of the cat. So I'm putting him out today already. No sense in prolonging the agony. I'll continue looking for a solution for him anyway - a rescue, an adoption, the owners.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
Well, I asked the landlord and he gave me 1-2 weeks to get rid of the cat. So I'm putting him out today already. No sense in prolonging the agony. I'll continue looking for a solution for him anyway - a rescue, an adoption, the owners.
Wait, what?

He gave you and the cat two weeks together and you're putting him outside in the cold now?

I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me... did I miss something?

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page