not sure what to do... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

not sure what to do...

So I have had my cat for a little over 3 years. We found her when she was a kitten, someone had set her out beside the road. She has always been a people cat, she didn't run when we stopped to pick her up, in fact she came right up to the car. She was around many different people in her first two years, never running from anyone. She follows me around the house and brings me her toys. She loves to cuddle in my lap and sit on the sink while I get ready in the morning. But, over last year we have had an on going issue with "psycho" episodes. She is a moody girl and her fight or flight response is always to fight. She will attack. While we have a special bond and she trusts me unconditionally I do not trust her. I put her up when company comes, but the thought of surprise company is so stressful. She is just so unpredictable. We have had three incidents in the last week, both resulting in a spray bottle and time out. Normally we have two or three incidents a month. I have tried filway and composure liquid, nothing works. I can't figure out what her trigger is. I can tell when she is in a mood...but at this point anything will set her off. Some days she is so mellow and others she is on edge. I just don't know what to do, I am so stressed over this situation. I have a constant worry that she will attack someone that stops by...or me. Although, I have dealt with her enough to know what to do I still don't like to let her around other people because of her unpredictability. I'm so tired of this constant worry. Does anyone have any suggestions or has possibly dealt with a similar situation?

Last edited by Annie24; 01-29-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Cat

This might be something medical. Have you taken her to the vet? Also, she may be picking up on *your* stress which is making it worse and feeding the cycle. Beyond that I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Cool Cat

I would take her to the vet to rule out any medical issues. Then your vet can make suggestions on what to do from there. Hope it works out for you and your kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Cat

I had a cat like that once, but her attacks weren't as frequent as yours seem to be. The vet found that she had an irregular heart beat and prescribed her some medicine to regulate it. It calmed her right down and she was her normal sweet self after that.

Like Sharpie said, your own stress is only going to make her stress worse. Do what you can to remain calm about the situation and that will surely make at least a slight difference.

Thank you for taking in a little kitty in need and caring so much about her. You'll get this straightened out soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page