Recommendation desired: great cat toys - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Recommendation desired: great cat toys

Our seven month-old kittens seem to be bored, or at least too familiar with their new home. We shut off the bedrooms and bathrooms and basement - so they only have about 2000 SF in which to play. But now they've found they can jump up on the countertops (they know its wrong, but, hey, they're kittens, so they just know to get down when they see me coming!) and seem to want more stimulation.

Anyway, where might I look for some good cat toys? They have mice and catnip filled pouches and Da Bird (which only works when I'm working the other end, but the little one goes mad for this one...). Foil balls they like too.

However, where might I look for some good cat toys for their use when I'm busy - toys that hand from a door or are freestanding would be best.

I guess here are a few that look promising:

Best Cat Toys Available | Cat Health Behavior.com

Talking Cat Toys - Play-N-Squeak Thrill of the Chase Cat Toy

Popular Ball Toys for Cats - Play-N-Squeak Ball of Furry Fury

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Cat Addict

My cats have the squeak and play mouse. They LOVE that thing. Fortunately, I'm 65%, high-pitch deaf. So I can't hear the mouse when they decide to have a go at it in the middle of the night. unless they bat it around next to my head.

Da-bird is also a great toy.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Something my cats absolutely love is packing paper. There's always some in my living room. I brought home a fresh new bunch on Friday, and they're still playing on, around, under and with it. They love the way it sounds when they jump on it. I can hear them playing all hours of the night, by themselves or with each other.

Some packing paper and boxes - and they could care less about the stuff I've spent money on.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
NRD
Tom Cat

I have both of the first two toys in your first link, the Bergan Turbo track and the Hide and Peek box. They are both hits with my kitties. The Turbo track was the first toy I introduced each of my four to when they were in their intor safe rooms, and thus they have imprinted on it. Whenever I move the ball myself, they come running, and several times a week they initiate play themselves, a year later.

I also highly recommend furry mice that rattle (mine don't squeak). Amazon.com identifies the ones that have the highest ratings and are really inexpensive. I have furry mice all over the house, and all of my cats love to play with them, by themselves, from time to time. They invent games with them and love to pounce on them. I have Da Bird, Cat Dancer and Cat Charmer as the favorite interactive games, but the former are good for unsupervised play.

Oh yes, and I fully agree, boxes and paper bags and rolled up paper are equally good and no added cost at all. They never tire of boxes and bags!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with NRD...the first two toys in your first link are good. I also have the Play-N-Squeek Thrill of the Chase and the Furry Fury, but my girls have rarely played with either since the day I bought them.

They love to play with boxes and bags. They also have a few tunnels that they love to chase each other through. And they like their cat trees.

On the suggestion of another member here, I recently bought a "hexbug nano", which is an inexpensive kid's toy. It's like a little centipede bug that crawls all around and my girls go nuts chasing it. It won't crawl on carpet, so it will only work on ceramic tile, hardwood floors or similar.

I also rotate the girls' toys, putting some away for a few weeks and then switching a few weeks later. I find that helps to keep them interested in things, since they think they're forever getting new toys.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

My twins played with the turbo scratcher for almost 3 years before tiring of it, great toy. I should take it out of the closet and let them try it again. The peek-a-prize was a colossal fail! It now sits upside down and serves as a way to raise up Gigi's feeding dishes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Last edited by marie73; 01-30-2011 at 08:24 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Cat Addict

#1: Ping pong balls.
Turbo scratcher.
Furry mice.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Premier Cat

Oh yes...ping pong balls! When I'm working in the bedroom/bathroom area, I put a couple of ping pong balls in the bathtub and my girls love to chase them as the balls bounce from side to side in the tub. They also like batting ping pong balls around the house...just be careful where you step.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Cool Cat

I third the recommendation for ping pong balls. My cats (especially Athena) can't get enough of them. The only downside is they seem to get lost so easily because of how small and bouncy they are. Athena seems to manage to lose them within days of me finding them again or getting her new ones.

Also just plain crumbled up paper (like receipts or whatever) makes a surprisingly entertaining toy, depending on the cat. Athena can entertain herself with paper balls for hours. In fact, as I am typing this, she just brought me my driver registration that she apparently pulled out of my purse. How kind of her!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Tom Cat

My kittens' favorite toy cost all of $3 at Petco, and they just can't get enough of it. It's called the Cat Dancer, and it is literally a piece of thick wire with rolled up cardboard pieces at the end. I don't understand the appeal, but they ADORE the thing. This is the one we have:

And this is the one that can be mounted to a wall, so they can play with it on their own:

I haven't tried the mounted one, but we may try it in the future.

Another thing I did was take a couple smallish Amazon boxes (shoeboxes would work), cut squares in them with a box cutter, stick some toys (mostly rattly balls) inside...that provided a good couple hours of entertainment, and they still play with them occasionally. I should probably put them away and bring them out again later.

We also have this:

which they LOOOOOOVE...but if the sound of plastic grocery bags being smooshed (that's the "crinkle" part) bothers you, you might want to stay away from it. haha. Our kittens love it though. It has a hole in the middle that they can peep out of - always entertaining.

And the Bergan turbo track is great, too.

Lily is obsessed with mice, and her favorite are the kind that rattle. Spencer's favorite toy are these jingle bells with feathers attached that came in a stocking of toys. He has a thing about feathers...and he sucks on them. So they don't last a super long time. haha.

Oh, and today they spent a good 30 minutes batting a wind-up snail around the kitchen floor...and since that was such a big hit, I ordered a hexbug nano, as Susan mentioned, since I'd seen it talked about on here.

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page