Nature videos - Am I torturing my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Nature videos - Am I torturing my cat?

When I don't have time to play because I'm busy at work on the computer but he asks me for a few minutes of attention, I play some nature youtube video (birds, mice, fish). But then he goes berserk trying to find the animal ("prey") in question in the opening of the speakers... I guess it must be frustrating not to understand why there's no animal behind the noises? I wonder if it's fun or just confusing and irritating...? He looks bewildered, and he seems not to associate the image on the screen with the noises coming from the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Cat Addict

Mine will sit and watch the "In the Valley of the Wolves" DVD from start to finish.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Premier Cat

I don't think it's torturing your cat. If anything it's pleasurable and interesting for him. Likely to an indoor cat it's not much different to looking at a TV screen and than it is to looking out a window at real birds or squirrels. My cats are interested at what they're looking at, even tho they can't get outside to stalk and chase it. And Animal Planet is their fave TV program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, cats are originally from Irak, so that's understandable.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post
Mine will sit and watch the "In the Valley of the Wolves" DVD from start to finish.
Really? Any howls from the TV are clearly stressful for my cats. They are gone in an instant.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

I have a cat dvd & the first couple of times we watched it, the cats were looking for the sqirrells behind and over the tv and scratching at the screen. Now I think they realize that they don't smell and aren't really there. But they do still watch it but then they also walk away.

Now Harli will watch the tv sometimes. We saw a show on cougars about a week ago. It showed how the cougar would catch the antelope with her dewclaws. I looked at Harli and told her "Now don't get any ideas!" But she's pretty good at poucing on Lili when they are playing, so I wonder...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
Really? Any howls from the TV are clearly stressful for my cats. They are gone in an instant.
yep, and the part when the eagle or hawk (can't remember which) comes down and steals the wolves meat right outta their mouth they all turn and look at me like "did you see that??!!"

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My cat too looks at me when something exciting happens on the screen! LOL
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Cat

our cats most often ignore everything on tv, so I never thought much of the vidios for cats. BUT we dropped in a dvd of the movie ICE AGE and our now departed tinker cat just about went through the screen trying to catch the prehistoric squirrel critter with the acorn fixation!!!!!....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Cat Addict

My cats have never seemed all that interested in any computer sounds I play on here. I'm not sure if it's because they know where they're coming from or what... I've even tried to play angry cats snarling and hissing before and they don't flinch. They don't even follow the cursor moving around on the screen! *sigh* If my cats did actually have a reaction (positive, like looking around for birds) I wouldn't mind playing it for them. It might be confusing for them but it would keep them on their toes.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page