My cat just turned crazy!! Please help... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My cat just turned crazy!! Please help...

For the 2 weeks since I've taken him to my house (he seemed like an abandoned house cat), Prince has been the sweetest, best-mannered creature I ever knew. He even asks permission to explore something for the first time in the apt., and each night before climbing into bed with me.

Half an hour ago he was placidly and sweetly going in his litter box when he suddenly turned crazy, he seemed spooked, took off violently, then climbed the highest places in the apt., as if he was being chased/threatened by another animal. When he lay down and seemed to have calmed down, I came up to him asking him sweetly what happened, and for the first time ever he attempted to swat me with his paw! He then hid from me. After some time I tried to approach him slowly again, and he made this sound like "don't come near", then went and tried to find a place to hide from me. Then he lay down, and after a while came asking for my lap as he always does. I had an instinctive "NOOO!" reaction and rejected him. His eyes were wide (surprise because I never said NO to him before). He's now lying on the floor and when I approached him a couple minutes ago he didn't shoo me away but didn't ask for a caress as he ALWAYS does when I approach him.

I'm not experienced with cats, so please help us here....

A list of possibilities:

1. A ghost in the house (yes, I believe in those things)
2. I changed his litter brand today from common clay to clumping clay
3. I washed his litter tray with a new soap today
4. I fed him salmon, chicken hearts, tuna and chicken wing meat (a tiny bit of each) all raw and mixed together, for the first time. He loved it and ate it all.
5. Being inside is driving him crazy.
6. I scooped his tray just before he went in it, and he was smelling and smelling the clumps in the waste-bin next to his litter tray (which I can only dispose of tomorrow).
7. I smoke. The windows are a bit open, but not completely because it's a bit cold.
8. Sudden bad mood?
9. Maybe he heard some noise outside that scared him?
10. At one point, he was smelling the new litter and the tray so much that I thought I'd seen him ingest a few grains of the "sand". I'm not sure he did, though.

Thank you all in advance! I'm scared...what if he's a cat prone to crazy attacks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Jr. Cat

Something, sound or scent, startled him and he probably just reacted to you. He still has a way to go for complete trust. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

11. One of the strays I feed downstairs, who is the most aggressive one in the colony, rubbed against me (a lot) a few minutes before. Maybe that's why Prince was smelling everything like a madman around his litter tray. I was standing next to him, and he acted like he could smell an aggressive cat, it could've been my pants legs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Jackmom, we posted at the same time. Now that you say that, I'm more convinced it's possibility 11... The night I met Prince I thought he was a crazy cat. He was acting just like tonight. And this very aggressive (stray female) cat was with me at the time. Then when she wasn't around, I discovered that Prince wasn't crazy, but the sweetest thing on Earth. Now he's lying on my lap sleeping like nothing happened. Next time the aggressive stray rubs against me, I'll make sure to immediately take off my pants when I come back up home. I won't stop allowing her to do it, as it's (I believe, sadly) one of the very few pleasures the poor (pregnant) cat has in her life downstairs as a stray. She constantly rubs against my legs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Tom Cat

Crazies

#9 or #12 (ummmm, he/she is a cat.)
Cats can hear noises humans can't, anything from an insect in a wall to a sound outside. They can also smell a lot better than humans. Your cat may be reacting to either one.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Cat Addict

Could be a bug bite. He sounds like a sweet cat. Nothing to worry about. He was just spooked (yep, another possibility is spooks). he didn't attacked. He was just scared and them came to you.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Tom Cat

One of my cats occasionally, right after using the litter box goes tearing through the house, almost like she is being chased. Never aggressive, but she doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body (unless you are a vet).

There was a thread about this behavior a while back and it seems to be pretty common. Sounds to me like your cat gets wound up a bit more them most.

I would watch for other signs that going to the bathroom is causing her pain, but I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Maybe he just really likes the new litter and got over-excited.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Woodsman, do you happen to remember the title of the thread or any word in it I could do a search on?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Jr. Cat

Definately #11
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Premier Cat

I'm going to buck the crowd, and vote for #2 and #3. Whenever I would wash Muffs' litter box and change the litter (just putting new fresh litter of the same type in the box...not even changing brands), she would go nuts. She would go in the box, sniff around and then start running around like a wild cat. She wanted nothing to do with me for a while. I now rarely do a full litter change-out. I scoop the litter boxes, dump all of the clean used litter into one box, wash out the boxes and fill them back up with part new litter, part used. That keeps her happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page