My cat just turned crazy!! Please help...
For the 2 weeks since I've taken him to my house (he seemed like an abandoned house cat), Prince has been the sweetest, best-mannered creature I ever knew. He even asks permission to explore something for the first time in the apt., and each night before climbing into bed with me.
Half an hour ago he was placidly and sweetly going in his litter box when he suddenly turned crazy, he seemed spooked, took off violently, then climbed the highest places in the apt., as if he was being chased/threatened by another animal. When he lay down and seemed to have calmed down, I came up to him asking him sweetly what happened, and for the first time ever he attempted to swat me with his paw! He then hid from me. After some time I tried to approach him slowly again, and he made this sound like "don't come near", then went and tried to find a place to hide from me. Then he lay down, and after a while came asking for my lap as he always does. I had an instinctive "NOOO!" reaction and rejected him. His eyes were wide (surprise because I never said NO to him before). He's now lying on the floor and when I approached him a couple minutes ago he didn't shoo me away but didn't ask for a caress as he ALWAYS does when I approach him.
I'm not experienced with cats, so please help us here....
A list of possibilities:
1. A ghost in the house (yes, I believe in those things)
2. I changed his litter brand today from common clay to clumping clay
3. I washed his litter tray with a new soap today
4. I fed him salmon, chicken hearts, tuna and chicken wing meat (a tiny bit of each) all raw and mixed together, for the first time. He loved it and ate it all.
5. Being inside is driving him crazy.
6. I scooped his tray just before he went in it, and he was smelling and smelling the clumps in the waste-bin next to his litter tray (which I can only dispose of tomorrow).
7. I smoke. The windows are a bit open, but not completely because it's a bit cold.
8. Sudden bad mood?
9. Maybe he heard some noise outside that scared him?
10. At one point, he was smelling the new litter and the tray so much that I thought I'd seen him ingest a few grains of the "sand". I'm not sure he did, though.
Thank you all in advance! I'm scared...what if he's a cat prone to crazy attacks?