Sucky & Licky... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Sucky & Licky...

So, my 2 Weegies... they're 7 months old now, nearly 8.

Eric has a mad licking fetish. If I'm in bed, he'll lick the end of my nose, then my hand, and then my entire arm. Which is fine, I can shoo him away and hope he doesn't kill my toes as revenge. We push him away and tell him no, and he's been doing it less and less.

Ernie however... whenever he's being cuddled or stroked, always ends up sucking/licking my jumper, or arm - it's the whole sucking/licking/kneading action. It's... irritating... if I'm on my laptop, and he's at the side of me being stroked, he'll make a dive for my armpit. It's not something he's growing out of. I put him out of the room, and tell him no, and he just comes back and carries on as if he was never moved away. I just can't stroke him without it turning into an attempt at sucking.

I don't know if it's a weaning issue the boys left their mom at 14 weeks, so I'm not sure they were taken away too soon.... Ernie was the runt of the litter, and given special attention to bulk him up - he was half the size of his siblings at birth and they didn't think he'd make it. He's actually now over 9 pounds, and bigger than his litter mate.

Both were castrated at 6 months and a day - our vet won't neuter before 6 months.

Any advice on how to handle this? Threatening to let him loose in a Norwegian Forest isn't working....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Tom Cat

Threats never work on my crew - they seem to have a hard time believing I would ship them to Abu-Abu, redirection hasn't worked well either. For some people offering a blankie has worked. See my post on smergling and add your tale. I really think it is related to being bottle babies since 5 of my 6 were bottle babies and those 5 smergle. It is a comfort thing for them to smergle on mom, except for Pixel who goes to Papa.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Cat Addict

Both my boys love to do this. I don't mind very much, but they have learned that it's only permitted on certain clothing items. I have a few baggy sweaters, but they both prefer their dad's bathrobe with me wearing it. They will suck and knead him when he wears the robe, but the look very confused doing it. lol, Hilarious.

To teach them it wasn't always allowed I just moved them off every time they started when it wasn't appropriate. It would work the same for no sucking anything. Now they can cuddle just fine without kneading and sucking, but it took some patience.
I would also gently use a finger to lift their chin when i caught them about to do it. So they learned to go slowly to make sure it's ok before commiting themselves to sucking.

I kinda think it's sweet, and since they really only do it to me (and their fav housecoat, lol) I don't worry about it. When they were babies it was pretty well anything that moved.

Doran was bottle fed from 10 days on, Muffin wasn't, but we got him at only 4 weeks. They both drool like mastiffs when they snuggle, sucking or no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page