urinating on my couch - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

urinating on my couch

my cat in the last month has started to kick kitty litter out of the litter box, and now has urinated twice on my couch in the last month......how do you get the stains out of the couch? and what to do with this behavior-should i get the kittler litter that cats want to use? Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Cat Litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Cat Addict

I see a possible two problems here.

First one...maybe your cat doesn't like the litter you provide. I had to go through trial-and-error with many brands before I finally had to settle on Tidy Cat...it wasn't my first choice, but it's all Rochelle will use consistently.

Secondly, have you had your kitty checked out by your vet? Cats will refuse to use the litter box if they have a UTI (urinary tract infection) because it's uncomfortable for them. My Rochelle went through this, and she ruined my carpet and a few articles of clothing by going outside her box. Once she was on the right meds, she was back to using the proper box again.

I will say that Dr. Elsey's worked for us, when I did use it. When Rochelle had her UTI, I wanted to make sure that she continued to use her box, so I used their multi-cat scoop brand in conjunction with the Cat Attract. Unfortunately, it's a little pricey to use all the time, but as a re-training aide, it's magic.

Good luck with your kitty!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Premier Cat

I second Brianna's recommendation to rule out medical issues first. As for the stains, you can use Nature's Miracle, which removes both odors and stains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

he was at the vets 2 months ago...i will try suggestions
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
he was at the vets 2 months ago...i will try suggestions
That doesn't mean that he couldn't have gotten a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) between then and now.

Please have the vet give him a look over or at least call for advice.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Cat

well, i really don,t see a thing wrong with the cat...he uses the litter box most of the time,,,had urinated 1 month ago, and 3 days ago in the same spot....i have seen him urinate, and no signs of problems....i will try a different kitter litter
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Cool Cat

One of my cats will occasionally pee in the bath, if I haven't scooped the litter since the last time he went. I need to make sure I keep the litter trays clean for him. If this may be a cause for your boy doing it too, you may want to add another litter tray, or two. I have since found some litters that I can get away with scooping but a couple of years ago, I had 5 litter trays for the one cat! Each just had a piece of newspaper and a handful of litter, which I would have to change after each use. I would definitely recommend experimenting with other litters (give him a choice - set up litter trays containing different litter and see which he prefers).

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by love.my.cats; 02-04-2011 at 02:40 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

there is a product, perfect litter , that is suppose to detect uti,s...not sure if its anygood......the cat seems healthy , no visible signs of anything bad..his feeding behavior or water drinking is usual....i am converting him to wet food, which not is over 60% of his diet......i will be watching him closes for any uti symptoms
i also use clorox bleach to clean the litter box,,,just wonder if the colorox smell might have something to do with this

Last edited by ronss; 02-04-2011 at 03:22 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
i also use clorox bleach to clean the litter box,,,just wonder if the colorox smell might have something to do with this
I would use a Vinegar/water solution instead or dilute the bleach A LOT(I mean one tbsp of bleach in a LARGE spraybottle diluted).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Premier Cat

If it isn't a UTI, it might be a stress reaction to some sort of change. Have you moved furniture? A new cat in the neighborhood that visits outside? (cats can even smell another outsidewith windows closed), have you visited someone who has a cat? (and got its scent on bottom of your jeans from sitting in spot where cat sits), a new person is coming frequently to visit who may have a cat or dog? Any of these things might trigger a cat to urinate inappropriately. Do try the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attact. I haven't used it personally, but quite a lot of people have had good results with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page