The Former-Strays' Club - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The Former-Strays' Club

Hi, I'm Prince. My new mommy spends so much time here, I thought I'd give it a try too.

As a Former Stray, I have certain peculiarities/particularities/traits/etc., and mommy said I might find likeminded souls here, former ferals/strays/street/alley cats that got lucky like me and now have a home. I'm wondering if we have something in common...?

For example, I still startle at anything new that moves or makes noise. I seem to jump immediately to the conclusion that there's imminent danger. I don't know if this is typical of all cats, but I sometimes forget I'm in a protected place... Of course, I don't always show I'm scared. I often pretend to be "just not interested" in that new toy. But when mommy introduces it to me and reassures me, I start loving the toy!

I thought it could be interesting if we shared our experiences as former strays and compared notes...?

Last edited by Straysmommy; 02-05-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Cat

Ellie aka Scat Cat here,I was kicked out of my former owners home and spent 12 hours in the garage out back til my foster Mom convinced her parents who she lives with to let her find me a home.I don't like male humans very well or yelling even if it's happy yelling.But fast movement doesn't bother me actually I chase it off hissing.But hopefully foster mom's cousin will take me home next month.Until then I love hanging out with Foster Mom,Taboo,and her kid siblings.

Peace out,
Ellie B. Felinia
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Hello! My name is Dagny. I wandered into my new mommy and daddy's yard in August at the young age of 5 months. It was so hot and I was so hungry. My mommy wanted me, but daddy was not so sure since mommy had just lost her beloved other kitty that past December and she was still hurting and he didn't want her hurt again. But I was so sweet that he soon relented and now I'm a very spoiled happy cat. I'm now 11 months old. I make them both so very happy and I am now part of their family.

I was so sweet and unafraid of anything or anybody that I must have been someone else's kitty for a time. I don't understand how anyone could part with me I am so good and loving. Mommy says I came straight from heaven, that I was placed in her yard because she needed me. I will never say she's wrong because it is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_NH View Post
Zeus here.....
Zeus is such an appropriate name for him! What a big, handsome boy he is!!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Tom Cat

I'm Pedro and started my life in a crime ridden area of town so I'm quite shy & nervous of new people - even my Gran and Grampie. Gran gives us toys and treats when she visits so I think I might learn to love her. Mommy thinks someone kicked me or my brother (who now lives with Mommy's friend!) during my first 4 months outdoors since I'm nervous of feet. I also don't like when Mommy is standing up and tries to pet me or pick me up. I much prefer if she does these things while sitting down. I'm not a year old yet so I still have some time to learn like not being nervous of my cousin when she's on the speakerphone talking to us. I'm a little bit nervous about her visiting us this summer because I've never been around children & my auntie is visiting too so 2 new people. Eek! I will probably spend a lot of time in Mommy's bedroom.

Then there is Apple. She was a trailer park kitty from an equally crime ridden area of town. I don't think she remembers being outdoors since she was only 4 weeks old and never had to get her own food. She pretends though and looks at new people like they are big scary looking monsters. It's an awful silly face she makes! She mimics me and pretends she's nervous of new people too. Or maybe she's picking up on my anxiety so perhaps I should talk to my Mommy about helping me relax more around new people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

I have two sets of ex-ferals.

The first was a family of four I caught when they were about eight to nine weeks old. One of the four was killed in the 2007 pet food poisoning, the other three, Allen, Rachel and Meghan, are now four and a half years old. They show zero indications of their feral origins and, in fact, very seldom startle at anything. Rachel routinely greets my guests, whether she's met them before or not.

The second family of four, I trapped when they were about twelve weeks old. Those kittens were much, MUCH harder to socialize, even though I pulled a futon mattress onto the floor and slept in the kitten room for three or four months to help them realize I was harmless.

I kept two of those four kittens. Spencer and Heather are now two and a half years old. They both startle extremely quickly, and they both take off for dark, hidden spaces at little provocation. Neither of them will let guests get anywhere near them, on the very rare occasions guests stay long enough for the two to come out of hiding.

Heather is not and will likely never be a lap cat, nor does she like to be picked up. I think, however, that's more her personality than her background. She's very fast, very energetic and loves to run and climb things; she's almost constantly on the move. She sleeps on my bed every night, though, raises her head to me and purrs as soon as I reach towards her, and she'll often cross between my computer screen and keyboard so I'll pet her. I think Heather is perfectly comfortable and is just not a lap cat.

Spencer, on the other hand, still has some progress to make, although we've had a couple of breakthrough moments lately. He clearly wants to be in my lap, but he's having a tough time trusting that it's ok. Twice in the last week, he's settled down to purring on me with his eyes closed, but he still can't bring himself to actually walk onto my lap... he just keeps crossing in front of my face while I'm on the computer, sometimes stepping towards my lap and then drawing back.... over and over until I pick him up and put him there.

I make a concerted effort, every day, to pay special attention to Heather and Spencer (a little more so, Spencer) to ensure they are as social as possible. I think another year will see them lose the last few feral traces they still carry.

I have a sixth cat names Ralph who is three and a half (interestingly enough, all six cats seem to have been born in the September / October time frame). I don't believe Ralph was ever feral, but he has definitely been abused. When my daughter found him, he'd been stuffed in a crate and left in an empty apartment to starve to death (and according to the vet, was about 24 hours away from doing so).

Ralph was the most astonishingly aggressive cat I've ever seen when he arrived here. He would literally lunge across a room to attack my guests, especially women. And he attacked to maim or kill. He once got loose in the apartment hallway and attacked my upstairs neighbor when she came home. I had to leave work early when I received her call - Ralph was refusing to let her pass. He had nailed her pretty good on her hand and arm but, thankfully, she's a cat person herself and totally understood.

I've had Ralph a year this month. He has blossomed into an amazing cat. He fears NOTHING - and I'm totally not exaggerating. He greets every single person who walks in my front door; if they're men, he demands they greet him back, to the point he'll climb whatever he has to to put himself nose-to-nose with them.

He's still a bit iffy with women. Although he'll always let them in, sometimes he greets them as exuberantly as the men, and sometimes it's with growls and raised fur.

On the flip side, he's so laid back and confident, he actively plays with my three-year-old granddaughter. They chase each other around the house, and whenever he catches any part of her, he is ever so gentle - he'll grab with mouth and paws, but there are no teeth or claws involve. It's amazing to watch them.

Hmmm, this post turned into a book, didn't it?!

AC
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Nibbler was born to a stray mother in late July. He had an unknown number of siblings. At three weeks old he followed his mother as they tried to cross the street. His mom was hit and killed and Nibbler was hit as well, escaping with a broken pelvis. He was taken under the care of the shelter/clinic that I work for with me as his foster mom. Fast forward to the present and Nibbler is still with me. Call it a permanent foster, call it what you want, but he's doing great now, despite having a few special needs. This will most likely be his forever home.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

It's so nice meeting you all guys!

Does any of you share a home with a non-former-stray? I was wondering if they and we are different in any ways...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hi Auntie Crazy! I'd been looking for you to tell you that I owe a lot of my good fortune to you. Big thank you! My mommy was afraid of her landlord and put me back in the street. I was alone again and miserable. Then you kicked her **** so to speak and she ran back downstairs, took me in her arms and said: "If you go, I go too." and now we're together forever! She said she's going to tell the landlord, when the need arises, that the wonderful tenant who's been so good and loyal for years now has a cat, take it or leave it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
Hi Auntie Crazy! I'd been looking for you to tell you that I owe a lot of my good fortune to you. Big thank you! My mommy was afraid of her landlord and put me back in the street. I was alone again and miserable. Then you kicked her **** so to speak and she ran back downstairs, took me in her arms and said: "If you go, I go too." and now we're together forever! She said she's going to tell the landlord, when the need arises, that the wonderful tenant who's been so good and loyal for years now has a cat, take it or leave it.
Well... *sniffs*... darn...*coughs*...*wipes away a tear*

I'm so very glad you're safe and warm. And thank you for telling me, I've been down on myself a bit lately thinking I hadn't.... well, really, what matters is that you've found your forever home and that's truly something to celebrate. Yay!!!

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page