Suggestions for keeping cat off coffee table?
In the past month or so, my cat seems to have become obsessed with the coffee table. She doesn't get on any other surface, just this one table. Things I have tried:
- thought she wanted something up there, so I watched her once to see what she went after. She just sat down and looked at me.
- thought she was up there for attention, so once I ignored her. She laid down and started to go to sleep. Also, now she jumps directly from my lap to the table.
- thought she was doing it to tell me she was hungry (she tended to get up there at breakfast and bed time, when she gets fed) but I tried feeding her earlier and it didn't help.
- she HATES having her claws clipped, so as a last resort, every time she got on the table I would pick her up and either clip her claws or pretend to (I ran out of claws to clip really fast!). Hasn't helped.
- I know cats like heights, but this is seriously the shortest table in the whole house. It seems like if she wanted to be up higher she'd be going after the dining table or the counters.
I don't care as much, but it really stresses out my husband, which in turn stresses me out. I'm reluctant to get a squirt bottle, but I've tried every indirect route I can think of. Suggestions?