Suggestions for keeping cat off coffee table? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Suggestions for keeping cat off coffee table?

In the past month or so, my cat seems to have become obsessed with the coffee table. She doesn't get on any other surface, just this one table. Things I have tried:

- thought she wanted something up there, so I watched her once to see what she went after. She just sat down and looked at me.

- thought she was up there for attention, so once I ignored her. She laid down and started to go to sleep. Also, now she jumps directly from my lap to the table.

- thought she was doing it to tell me she was hungry (she tended to get up there at breakfast and bed time, when she gets fed) but I tried feeding her earlier and it didn't help.

- she HATES having her claws clipped, so as a last resort, every time she got on the table I would pick her up and either clip her claws or pretend to (I ran out of claws to clip really fast!). Hasn't helped.

- I know cats like heights, but this is seriously the shortest table in the whole house. It seems like if she wanted to be up higher she'd be going after the dining table or the counters.

I don't care as much, but it really stresses out my husband, which in turn stresses me out. I'm reluctant to get a squirt bottle, but I've tried every indirect route I can think of. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Cat Addict

Try citrus, cats do not like citrus smells. There is a cat deterrent over here in the u.k that smells like lemons..Monty hates it!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Premier Cat

Apparently they don't like the smell of eucalyptus oil either. You might try covering the table with aluminum foil, a lot of cats don't like to walk on that especially if it's crinkled up. You might have to leave it on for a while to break the habit. I have the same problem with my two cats. They both like to sit on the coffee table to be near me. I don't mind them being on the table unless I have food on it and then I shoo them off. They know now that if there is food on it they're not to jump up. They'll stand on their hind legs to sniff at the food, and I say "off" and they usually mind. You might try spraying with water....this really only works well if they don't see you with the bottle or see you spraying and think it's coming from somewhere else. There is an automatic cat deterrent that hisses out compressed air called Ssscat! that works well, at least it did for my cats who were kitchen counter hoppers. Hope something works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Cat

In addition to what catloverami said, you could fill up a can with pennies and toss it on the ground whenever she jumps onto the table. But don't let her see you do it. The idea is to make them think the noise just happens on its own whenever they do the undesirable behavior.

Good luck!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I understand why people don't want their cats on counters in the kitchen and even the stove, but why the coffee table? Just curious....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Cat

I used those clear vinyl carpet runners on a table. They come in a roll for a few dollars. When they are turned upside down, they have tiny points on the bottom that would keep them from sliding on carpet. The points are close enough together that the cat has no safe place, but it is only annoying not harmful to the cat.
They don't look too bad, and you can still use the table, or remove easily. And it cuts down on dusting! Bonus! And you can use them on the carpet later. Washable.

It took about a month to stop the cats. The runners came off a year ago and the cats stay off.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Cat

What about clapping? I mean, I taught them to get off the dining table by clapping like 3 or 4 times -not that loud...just enough for them to hear- and saying NO! or "abajo!" (which means "down!" but yeah...why would I talk to my kitties in English... ) I guess the J's hard sound in Spanish was easy for them to remember so they understand "abajo" pretty well.

Of course, you'll have to show her the way down the table the first times (first...10 times at least), while you say the word of your choice or do the clapping. With a lot of perseverance and love she'll eventually get it.

tell us how it goes, whatever you try and good luck!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'll try some of these suggestions and see if they work. In response to some of the questions:

Marie: It's just personal preference. When I was growing up, the cats were never allowed on the "human's" surfaces. We do a lot of hobby/academic work on the coffee table that we would prefer she not be sitting on or throwing on the floor. Also, we do sometimes eat in front of the tv, so there is occasionally food up there.

Lenkolas: Your cats must be smarter than mine! If I "pssst!" at her, or yell "hey!" she'll jump down....then turn around and jump right back up. I think it's a game to her.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I'm used to coffee tables being used for magazines, T.V. Guide, remote controls. Feet.

You might be able to train them to stay off while you're there. But all bets are off when you're not home. They'll probably hold cat dance contests and cat nip parties in your absence.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Tom Cat

I'm with Marie. They're definitely up there when you are out no matter how well "behaved" they might be while Mommy & Daddy are home! LOL

Lenkolas: Funny you mentioned talking to your kitties in another language. I thought I was the only one who did that. Pedro & Apple are just slowly learning, but Zoe understood commands in English, French, German, and Russian! LOL Our day to day discussions together were in English or French, but she really knew she was in big trouble if I started at her in German or Russian. hehe!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page