Tiger pooing in the bathtub? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Tiger pooing in the bathtub?

Oh, no! My male kitty, Tiger, he decided to poo last night in the bathtub, and I can't figure out why. His litter box is cleaned out EVERY night before bed, so that can't be it. It was very runny too, if that might make any difference to anybody replying.

My hubby is not happy. Let me just say that! He thinks that Tiger's nose should be put in it next time and maybe that'll cure him. I've heard of people doing that to dogs, and I don't like it, and I don't imagine it would help anyway. Their little minds can't work like ours and there's no real reason, I don't think, for some of the things they do. It's part of owning cats.

Does anyone have any idea why he would do this? I know the bathroom doors will be shut at night from now on, but he might just go somewhere else then.

Thanks much for any ideas.

KK (Tiger and Emma's Best Friend & Keeper - Because of them, my world is a happier place.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_NH View Post
rubbing his nose in it will do absolutely nothing except make him afraid of you (same with dogs).
I'd get a fecal done...seriously. If he's young, pooh is runny (is it exceptionally stinky?)
That's what I thought on the nose in it! I'm not having that!

On the stinky issue, it's ALL exceptionally stinky to me! He's about two years old. We NEVER had this issue before, and all of a sudden there it is. Maybe he got moody about something. I've heard sometimes they'll get an attitude and do things like that. Am I wrong on that?

One thing I thought of is that maybe he's figured out that's the human litter box, in the bathroom, not the tub, though, so maybe he thought that, too, would work as a waste area. Except there's no litter in the tub to cover it with. I'm scratching my head on this one.

KK (Tiger and Emma's Best Friend & Keeper - Because of them, my world is a happier place.)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

Mary is right. Rubbing an animals nose in its mess will do nothing to prevent an animal from doing it again and just make them distrustful. It's also quite cruel as he's not doing it out of spite. Likely there was or IS something wrong.

Next time your husband suggests that ask him how HE"D feel if the next time he has the runs you rub HIS nose in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh, I've suggested that and a lot more. He knows better than that. He just gets a little mad at the moment and suggests rediculous things. I hope he feels as rediculous as it sounds when he thinks about it.

Your kitty in the picture looks a lot like my Emma, so cute!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
NRD
Tom Cat

My Hersh has pooped in his box faithfully for almost a year now, except about three times, each time when I went away for two days, when he got stress diarrhea and pooped a liquidy poop in the bathtub. I thanked my lucky stars he chose such an easy-to-clean place to poop in! The diarrhea resolved itself immediately each time I came home. BUt maybe your guy has a bit of the runs that made him uncomfortable, and that was his way of letting you know. You might check remedies for diarrhea if his runniness seems to persist--I've seen recommendations of a bit of canned sweet potato, among other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Premier Cat

Pooping in the bathtub, or any inappropriate elimination outside of the litter box, is typically due to one of three reasons: (1) medical, (2) problems with the box/litter, or (3) stress. As I'm sure you know, rubbing his nose in it won't solve the first two issues and is likely to lead to even more stress.

For now, I would try to keep him out of the bathroom (close the door), assuming his litter box isn't in there. Also, consider whether there are any issues with the box...perhaps that day they weren't as clean as usual, perhaps you might want to add a box, etc. If it happens again, particularly if the diarrhea continues, I'd suggest a visit to the vet. If there's no medical issue, then you'll have to re-think the litter/box aspect and/or consider what might be causing him stress.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD View Post
You might check remedies for diarrhea if his runniness seems to persist--I've seen recommendations of a bit of canned sweet potato, among other things.
Yes, I'm very thankful this episode was in the bathtub. I can't imagine if it had been on a nice rug or the furniture!

The runnies seem to have gone back to solids now, so that's a good thing! I'll just keep watching him, or it, and make sure it doesn't continue, even in the litter box.

You mentioned canned sweet potato. How much table food is okay for cats to eat; any idea?

Thanks for posting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page