Afraid of the dark?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Afraid of the dark?!

Ok so tonight we had a power outage for about an hour. The kitties were already tucked into their "bedroom" where I've always left the light on for them. This is the first time I've been home with the power out in the dark since they came to live with me in the fall.

I didn't know that Pedro is absolutely terrified of being in the dark! He seriously panicked hard. Poor little fellow I get home well after it gets dark in the evening after work for most of the year - except about a month or so in the summer and even then I get home right about when it's just turning dark. My poor boy has been nervous all this time and I didn't know at all.

Now I have to go shopping tomorrow to get a timer for a lamp since I don't like the idea of leaving a light on all day - I'm kind of careful with my power usage (we have a coal fired generator here and it feels wrong morally & ethically to use more energy than absolutely necessary) and it's a stretch for me to leave it on all night for them as it is.

Zoe wasn't a fan of being in the dark, but she certainly wasn't afraid of it and I think for her it was more a vision thing than anything - I think she had a reduced angle of vision in one eye. Other than that I've never known any other kitty to be nervous of being in the dark at all.

Does anyone else have a kitty who is nervous of being in the dark?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Cat Addict

I leave the kitchen neon light on, which uses 1/8 of a common light bulb. It's enough light for the whole apt., as it's a 1-bedroom apt. I don't think he's scared of the dark, more like it's not as pleasant.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Cat

look into low wattage nightlights, most of them will draw less power than a timer.. a little light will goe a long way in a cats eyes, a solar powered led landscaping light might be an option

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house

Last edited by tghsmith; 02-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Cool Cat

I have a little LED nightlight plugged in at the room's center outlet. I didn't even consider if my cats would be nervous of the dark, I just knew they needed a little bit to still see... Paizly's crippled, and it's hard for her to move around, so I figured I didn't want her bumbling around more than necessary to use the litter box or get some food.
My light is blue, because ALL my stuff is blue... but I think they have white and yellow ones. It doesn't bother me any, because I sleep facing away from the main part of the room and don't really see/notice the light.

This light says it lasts up to 5 years if plugged in all the time, and I've had it 3 already and it's still glowing. I never unplug it, mostly as I'm a ditz and I know I'd always forget to plug/unplug it every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page