My cat hardly entertains himself? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My cat hardly entertains himself?

If I don't play with him, he'll play only for a minute and go to lie down and sleep. He soon gets either bored or scared of the toys when playing by himself. I don't know how long he was a stray (he seems to be a house cat) but strays indeed often don't play and are scared of toys.

How to motivate him to play by himself?

(I'd love to bring in another cat, and I already know which, but I'm not allowed even one cat by the landlord)

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Jr. Cat

Maybe you could start with food enrichment ? It's a kind of occupational therapy and your cat will be rewarded with food/treats, which is a motivation in itself.

If you feed dry food you could hide small quantities of his daily ration in different places throughout the house so that he has to search/hunt for it, or you can use something to dispense food/treats.
You can buy food enrichment toys like a treat ball/pipolino, brain train or activity board from the pet store but it is also easy to make your own from things like egg cartons and empty kitchen towel rolls. Or you could put some treats in toys that were not specifically designed for food enrichment but will keep a cat occupied with fishing the treats out anyway.
As long as your cat is not afraid of it, but maybe the food is a good enough enticement ?

I feed my cats a raw diet but they sometimes get some kibble as a treat in their activity board, they love it and it almost makes me wish I fed dry kibble as a mainstay of the diet so I could give them more food this way in stead of from a plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Tom Cat

My Zoe was the same, but was not a stray at all. I realized when she was about a year old that she felt kitty toys were beneath her. lol She demanded proper toys like action figures - yes she had a couple he-man and GI Joe lol as well as an extensive Beanie Baby collection and was starting on WebKinz. Yip she even enjoyed watching the WebKinz on the computer screen! hehe! She was in love with the "under 3" toys from McDonald's and Burger King. She also had a couple dog stuffies - a squeaky alien and a cheeseburger - that she enjoyed batting around like balls.

She was nervous and sometimes afraid of toys that rattled or jingled which meant most kitty toys were out. If I put any of the others in front of her she would look at me with the, "Um Mom what do you think I am? A cat?" and be quite insulted!

My Gabriel enjoyed regular kitty toys, but I only had him for 2 yrs before he passed and that was almost 9 yrs ago. Having 2 kitties now who LOVE kitty toys has been a very strange experience for me.

My point in all of that rambling? Perhaps he wants a different kind of toy!

ETA: Mimosa, what is that activity board called and where did you get it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

Mimosa: I have the same question as SpellQ: What is that board called and where did you buy it? My girls would love that!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Premier Cat

Me three
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Cat Addict

Me four me four!!!!

Becky, the proud momma of:

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Cat Addict

Come on, spill it. We all want the board
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Cat Addict

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Cat Addict

Seems like it's only sold in Europe
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Cat Addict

Darn-it!

Becky, the proud momma of:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page