Is this play?... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Is this play?...

My cat has had some issues with the neighbour's cat or the other way around, hard to tell, they used to be friends, then they got separated and when they reunited the fuss begun.

What I see now however is very interesting and I can't fully understand what it is. The neighbour's cat is coming to visit us every day and night, I used to let her in and I still do if my cat doesn't complain and most of the times she doesn't. When the neighbour's cat is all relaxed and sleepy, my cat would just jump at her as in for play rather than real attacks. She would jump around her and provoke her, etc. and the neighbour's cat would just normally sit there watching her, but sometimes she would rush on her feet and chase my cat away hissing; it's like saying something like: "cut it out! I've had enough of your games."

My cat sometimes sniffs the neighbour's back, but the other one doesn't normally allow her to get too close, normally a minimum half a meter is between them.

What I don't understand is if my cat is just playing or she means business and if she is only playing why is the other one so upset about it? There is an age difference between them (mine is 1 or 2 years and neighbour's is about 7 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

Well it does sound like your cat just wants to play, and the older one is just chillin' and then rushes at her as if to say "Buzz off, kid, and leave me alone!".
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Cool Cat

7 is about the time cats start becoming "seniors".
Paizly is 10, and Nebbie is 3... Paizly will hiss and/or swat at Nebbie if Nebbie tries to get too rambunctious. Paizly also has arthritis, so moving too much hurts (though it's getting better since I started her on SynFlex)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Dawn View Post
7 is about the time cats start becoming "seniors".
SSSSSSssssssshhhhhhhhhhh! Don't let Midnight hear you say that!! She still thinks that she's a kitten. (Midnight will be 7 on September 9.)

----------
Renée
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Cool Cat

LOL that's why I put it in quotes. I know several cats who think they're years are supposed to be months.
If it wasn't for arthritis and being crippled, I'm sure Paizly would love to join in the games. She perks up when she hears the chain on the laser pointer jingle, and I keep it within her reach so she doesn't have to try to chase/jump after it...she loves it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Cat Addict

I don't understand...if the cat doesn't like the dynamics then why is she at your place day and night??

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you all for your comments. Sorry about Paizly's arthritis, Vivid Dawn, that must be very painful, my grannie had arthritis, it's a terrible illness.
Sheilla is old, well mid age, but she is healthy apart from a fat belly, she easily jumps from one roof to another (when it lands on ours we hear a "buff!" and sometimes expect to have her coming through the ceiling straight into our living room hahaha.
Good point Straysmommy, that's my dillema too. She became so bold she comes inside during day when Modra is resting and sort of calls her outside for a chase. Modra would sneak behind her stalking her and so on. When she gets a few cm away from her, Sheilla meows and hisses. Maybe Sheilla is a huge drama queen, I don't know, I started to have a lot of fun watching them, but I still think this is a weird kind of play and sometimes I reckon Modra is taking it as a violation of her territory? I don't know, it's very amusing and at the same time strange. See attached photos of a normal "attack/play"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cats1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	2038  

Name:	cats2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2039  

Name:	cats3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2040  

Name:	cats4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2041  

Name:	cats5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2042  

Name:	cats6.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	2043  

Name:	cats7.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	2044  

Last edited by Modra; 02-13-2011 at 08:18 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Cat

hahaha, i love the last two pictures of "the stalking"!! looks like my Dale and Garland, who are just being introduced today
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

lol, I see you are experiencing some cat introduction dramas as well
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Cat Addict

Sounds like they both enjoy the kind of relating they have. Otherwise Sheilla wouldn't come visit, and/or Modra would show signs of stress when Sheilla arrives. To be honest, I don't see much of a difference between their relationship and that of kid neighbors or even grown-up neighbors. Reminds me of a neighbor that'd come visit at our house every day, only to start arguing with my father about politics and leave upset LOLOLOL

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page