litterbox problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Exclamation litterbox problem

i have 6 cats and 4 kittens to give away. so i have a large,hooded litterbox. the problem is that the kittens don't go in the litterbox- they go outside of it. they get that litter is for potty so they go on the litter drug out of the litterbox. then the big kitties do to cause they get offended by stepping through poo-poo. now i can't figure out how to get them to go in the litterbox when they are to short to see it. they can reach it easy but they don't know what it's for. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Premier Cat

If they are too short to see it, offer them a litterbox that is easier for them to get into so they *can* get the idea.
I would also offer MORE than one litterbox for that number of kitties.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

i tried that. the big cats stand in the corner and drag out all the litter they can. big mess and more poo-poo. it's an ugly scene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:40 AM
Premier Cat

From what I've learned on here 1 litter box is not nearly enough for 10 cats. I would suggest getting 5 or 6 more (preferably 8 or 9) of the same kind of litter box you already have and putting them out. If the kittens can't get inside then the logical thing to do would be to put a brick or build a ramp for the kittens to climb up on to see and get inside.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Premier Cat

For the kittens, they should have a shallow litterbox, no more than 3 in. high. I agree with other posters that 1 litterbox for 10 cats is not nearly enough. All boxes should be scooped at least 2x/day, and litter completely replaced every other week for that many cats.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

yeah, it does seem a bad idea to have one litterbox but the babies are toe only ones to stay inside. the litterbox is for rainy days and night time bladders.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Premier Cat

Maybe you need a LitterChest like mine?

...with the flap up...

...inside...

I use a rubber floor-mat for a pickup truck as the mat out the flap to catch loose litter. The flap is tied up when intro-ing new cats/kitts to the LitterChest. It is 2'x2'x4' ane kept between 3-5" deep in clumping litter.
This LitterChest has been in constant use for 10yrs and between 7-14 cats/kitts, average # of cats/kitts about 9. I keep one standard jumbo hooded litterbox in the bedroom for kitties who sleep with us but everyone prefers The Big Box.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Cat

I agree that you could do with more litter boxes for that many cats, but if it's just short-term maybe you should leave the hood off. I found that my cat was a bit anxious about using the new hooded litter tray first when I got it, and even now I have to keep the flap off the door (she won't push through it). There are several advantages to this. There will be more space for the cats to use different areas of the box if there's no hood. You can keep an eye on it more and remove dirty areas regularly during the day - especially if you have clumping litter. Also, the kittens might learn from watching the older cats.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 AM
Premier Cat

How about an extra-large storage tote?
You can easily cut a 6"x9" rectangle 'doorway', cut a little more material off from around the edges of the shape you cut out and then with a few holes, affix it as a "flap" similar to mine.

IMO, if the kitties need to step IN and then either turn Left or Right to do-their-business, I think that will help tremendously in cutting down litter kicked outside the litterbox area.

(one w/out wheels and smooth sides for scooping clumps)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 AM
Tom Cat

I agree with everyone that more litter boxes are definitely needed. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old are your kittens? I find that sometimes the real young ones have a hard time holding it in while they trek toward the box, especially if they then have to work on climbing up into it. It's just like little kids, they are having so much fun playing that they don't want to go to the bathroom until they absolutely have to. They know where to go, but they created a problem for themselves by waiting so long to take care of business. That and little kittens are just sloppy box users lol. They are working on perfecting that fine art. If they are really young feel encouraged, it gets better as they get a little older You just have to grin and bask in the joys of caring for young kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page