question about cat introduction - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question question about cat introduction

Hello there cat lovers!

Our 1 year old, Dale Cooper, has, since yesterday, the company of the 3 year old Garland Briggs.

After one night and half a day of separation (with crack under the door for paw play) and no hissing, we opened the door. All seems to go fine, Garland is a really easy, gentle man, doing his own thing, sniffling Dale a little, but thats it. Dale, on the other hand keeps following around, swatting at his bum, no chasing, but definite stalking.
When we put them in their separate rooms again, Garland starts meowing until we open the door to let him out, back to Dale. Then the whole thing starts again: Garland doing his own thing until Dale swats at his bum again. Their ears are forward, tales are kinda twitching. Dale is standing up most of the time while Garland is lying on the floor.

What should we do? They are not hurting each other, but is this nonetheless stressful for them? Any comments or suggestions welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like they're just getting to know each other. If there's no hissing, growling, etc...and Garland is not trying frantically to get away, then I'd just let them be, but keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't turn to hissing, growling or true chasing. I'd keep a coin can handy to make a loud noise lest trouble starts and, if trouble does ensue, separate them for a while.

Since they've only been together for a day and a half, I would ensure they're supervised while in each other's company, until you're a bit more sure of their reactions. I'd also keep them in separate rooms when you have to go out and when you go to bed. All in all, though, it sounds like things are going well.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks Susan!

We are keeping our eyes on them all the time, although we were debating to let them both out while we were sleeping, maybe not a good idea.

To keep you posted, they are now both lying on the floor, in close distance, trying hard to not fall asleep, haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Premier Cat

It doesn't hurt to keep them separated overnight for now, and you're better safe than sorry...because a fight at this early stage could set you back quite a ways. When you're at the point where they're clearly comfortable in each other's company... sleeping in the same room, playing together, etc...then I'd let them out overnight. It sounds like you might be at that point pretty soon, which is great!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

That is very true.

I find it very interesting that they leave each other alone when eating/drinking/doing litter box business! Garland just did his business and Dale waited for him to be done before he tried to bum slap him again.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Jr. Cat

ah yeah, I begin to think this is cats idea of fun, stalking each other and as you say, bum pow! I think in your case things are going great, we've had a lot of dramas before we got the girls to the "stalking" stage and now we consider ourselves lucky when they don't slap each other too often.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieke View Post
That is very true.

I find it very interesting that they leave each other alone when eating/drinking/doing litter box business! Garland just did his business and Dale waited for him to be done before he tried to bum slap him again.
If Dale is waiting for Garland to stop eating, drinking or doing his business, then they're definitely playing, so that's great news. My girls are the same way. They'll run and chase each other around, but then one will get thirsty and take a drink, while the other one waits, and a few seconds later they're off again. It's very polite chasing!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

@Modra
We were prepared for a crazy 2 week introduction, but I reckon we were very lucky when compared to other cat introductions!

@Susan
So thats good news, yey! Polite play chasing sounds exactly how it looks. We did separate them at night, I slept in the bedroom with Dale and my bf slept in the living room with Garland. Now they are being quite calm, still chasing, but there is also a lot of sniffling and Dale is starting to play alone again, without a constant eye on Garland.

One thing, Garland seems to have taken Dales cat bed instead of his own. Should I leave it this way or get him out of there?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Premier Cat

That all sounds fabulous! I would continue to let Garland nap in Dale's cat bed. That way, they'll both get used to each other's scents even more quickly. Also, it's best when everyone looks upon cat beds, trees, toys, etc. as belonging to both cats. The cats will figure out themselves who uses what when!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Ok, thanks for the tip!
As a thank you, here the very first picture of them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page