bored of play! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

bored of play!

My cat is about 14 months old. She's been wild for play since we adopted her 4-5 months ago, and it's been one of the major ways we've bonded, but in the last few weeks she's gotten bored and frustrated with it. She still seems to want to play, and demands it, gets excited when we open the toy cupboard, etc. but loses interest quickly while playing. She's also getting bored of new toys and even new styles much more quickly, although they seem to excite her more at first. Overall, it's less fun for everyone. She also plays less by herself. She has gotten gradually more relaxed and affectionate also during this period, but still cries to be played with. Is she just growing up? Or are there ways we can/should spice up our play life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Premier Cat

Is your beautiful calico/torbie? your only cat? Two cats are always better than one, amuse one another playing and rarely get bored with each other. They will still play with you too. Can you find it in your heart to adopt a kitty? Suggest a laid back neutered boy kitten about 4-5 mos. old. Most adult cats accept a kitten much easier than another adult. I say laid back and calm temperament, as calicos can be pretty bossy and are usually the dominant alpha cat. That's my experience. Let us know what you decide.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Tom Cat

It could be she's growing up or boredom or a mixture of both. Does she like to play hunt and stalk things? I know this might sound gross, but maybe one thing you can do to spice things up for her is bring her a bug. I occasionally do this for my cats. Usually it's a grasshopper or moth. But they always go crazy excited about it and the thrill of a real hunt. Moths are the favorite. Perhaps your girl might enjoy this, it would give her a whole new level of hunting thrill that her normal toys might not give her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Premier Cat

Cats do become a bit less interested in play as they get older. I usually rotate the girls' toys. I have about 4 "sets" and I bring a new set out every two weeks, which means it takes two months to get through them all. Put another way, when I first bring the new toys out, the girls haven't seen them in about 2 months. Doing that tends to keep them more interested in their toys.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

nicole - she does love to stalk and hunt! It's one of the few play tactics that gets her interest recently, though she still gets bored at its lack of realism after a bit. There was a large spider on our wall last week for a few days and she regularly returned to the nearest shelf to stare at him, then meowed at the same spot when he disappeared - so the bug idea might go down well, although I'm not much of a bug killer myself...
catlover - I'd love to get another kitty and it might be the best solution, but I'm not sure how practical it is right now, as I'll probably have to move city within the next six months and money is kind of tight right now. I am considering it, though. I guess they could both just eat kibble for a year until things pick up... You're right about calicos, though! Genie is very much a my way or the highway kind of cat. I'd definitely need a very laid back companion for her!
susan - it's a good idea, but I've already kind of tried it. She gets really excited briefly when she meets a new toy, but it doesn't last more than a few days anymore!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Jr. Cat

perhaps she just needs a companion, although getting another cat can be a difficult thing, as it takes them a looong time to accommodate with each other and a lot of hissing, which may drive you nuts.
Besides, as they grow older cats play less. Each one has a different personality, however, some cotinue to play until they are quite old, others sort of stop after "teen-agehood". When they stop playing they compensate by becoming more affectionate, so over all, it's not that bad. I think your cat is in the transition period between being a child and becoming a grown up and this age comes with its issues, indecissions and of course getting easily bored with stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page