How do you relax your cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

How do you relax your cat?

Prince is finding it hard to fall asleep these nights, after having been outside. He seems over-excited, and though he tries hard, and kneads and purrs, it takes him a long time to relax enough to be able to sleep. When I bring him up, he eats dinner, drinks, uses the litter box and goes to bed. His bedtime used to be 8 pm but now he won't come up home till about 10 pm. When he didn't go out at all, he'd be lethargic and sleep all day.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

Shortly after I adopted Abby, during the first three months when she was still locked in her safe room, I would "put her to bed" every night. I went into her safe room, dimmed the lights and sat on the floor. She would come over to me and cuddle for a while or play quietly. After about 15 minutes, I would put her in her cat tree, turn out the lights and leave. She always went right to sleep.

These days, we have sort of a little ritual, although it doesn't comprise much. Whenever I'm ready for bed, I say "Bedtime, girls", turn out the lights in the family room and make my way to the bedroom. They always follow me, since they know they're going to get their bedtime treat! After I've gotten ready for bed, I give them their treat, get into bed and turn off the light. Muffs usually settles right down, while Abby tends to wander, but she never makes any noise so I just go to sleep.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Jr. Cat

I've got a similar problem with Modra like the one you have with Prince, Straysmommy. If she has a lot of fun during the day (she runs and chases Sheila a lot and other kiddy stuff she does like catching bumble bees and all sorts of other bugs) she is really tired at night and sleeps like a baby up to 5 or 6 in the morning. But if I don't go out with her and engage her in all sorts of "gardening" activities (she loves to dig up my flowers right after I put them in the soil), she gets all sleepy and then she is outside all night (well, the nasty part is she is in and out the house, she comes in the living room and meows while we are watching telly, then she starts pulling the table throw and so on. My husband plays with her in the evening, but sometimes even half hour of catch the ball and other such energy consuming activities is not enough to get her ready for bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Tom Cat

My cats get their craziest from 11:00 pm to 1:00 am. No matter what I have tried to do nothing has convinced them to change this habit. I guess some kitties are just night owls
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Cat

He'll learn, he might just need a little time. We have a bedtime ritual of sorts too. After I've fed the fish and put some veg in for the hamster, the girls know it's nearly bedtime, I go into the kitchen and prepare their 'bedtime treats', while the girls at my feet meowing away. I like to talk to them whilst I do it... "Oh, is it bedtime treats time?", "What treats would you like?", "Are you tired?"... They meow in response Then I walk upstairs saying 'bedtime treats' and they follow me in a mad-running up the stairs manner, they eat the treats and then decide where they want to go. Evie generally settles on the spare room bed until I'm actually in bed, Mitzi will have a play then shortly later she'll join us on the bed. After about 30 minutes we have both girls on the bed snuggled up for cuddles.

Last edited by Abbie; 02-16-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page