Extreme mournful vocalizing- bored cat?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Extreme mournful vocalizing- bored cat??

My 1-year-old orange boy cat, Allegro, has started to prowl around the house making the loudest and saddest-sounding MROWWW??? sounds that I've ever heard. It seemed to start a couple of weeks ago, when he first figured out how to open the cabinet doors in our kitchen and bathroom. We put child-safe hooks in the cabinets, and so he can't get in them anymore, but he still paws at them and at the garage door over and over, like he's really bored and just wants something to do (and he just HATES having the doors closed to him). He's always been our little explorer.

He has a brother and a sister that he's been very happy playing with, two cat towers (he loves the new one we just got them for Valentine's day) and tons of toys and scratching posts. He gets a lot of exercise chasing our other two cats up and down the stairs and hopping from our loft ledge to the plant shelf to the window ledge above the entryway, and he's at a healthy normal weight.

He does get about 30-40 minutes of interactive play with us every day and lots of cuddle time with us in addition to that--I'm sure we should be doing more, but do you think doing more playtime will help? Why do you think he's making these constant, loud, mournful noises? He sounds really, really pathetic and it's breaking my heart. I've thought of getting a harness for him and going on walks outside (not right now- it's way too cold and icy out there), but I'm afraid that will make it worse--once he has a taste of the big world outside, he may never give up on trying to get out there.

There's no way I'll let him free-roam outdoors--for many reasons, but chiefly because we have both a major highway and lots of wildlife near us.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Cat Addict

Neutered?

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph View Post
Neutered?
Ah, sorry. Yes, he and our other two cats were neutered/spayed as little kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Cat

My 7 month old kitten does the same. Usually fi i go pick him up and give him a cuddle, he settles down. He seems to like the attention he gets from it, so maybe it is that. He does seem to go away from me into another room, then yowl, and I will go get him. I am really not sure, he is usually fine, runs around with my 5 month old kitten, plays, etc, but he does sound SO mournful at times.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Cat Addict

My cat used to do that frequently (probably still would if he was at the first floor apartment he grew up in...), he'd wander the halls meowing loudly and mournfully. It most often happened late at night. He'd also sit out on the deck during odd hours of the night and then come charging in the house running like a horse and meowing around... it was weird. I can't say I ever was able to fully pin point why he did it - he's neutered and I'd never hear anything too interesting outside. Was it even because he saw something outside? Sometimes he'd do it when everyone was sleeping and he wouldn't stop.

I found if I picked him up and cuddled with him a little he'd calm down and I could get back to sleep. Maybe he was just lonely

Or as weird mood swings - mine does, viciously unexpected ones... maybe the upset meowing is just another side of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Cool Cat

Simone does the same thing, but I call him whiny instead of mournful lol! I usually just yell out "Simone?," and he will come running into whichever room I'm in. Once he's there, he might quiet down, but he's just as likely to run back off again meowing to himself. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of cat he is because my other rarely ever makes a peep.

Last edited by marie73; 09-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Premier Cat

My girl does that quite often. Sometimes she's wondering where I am or her half-brother or her mousie's or just likes to hear her voice. Like swimkris, when I call her name, she usually stops. Cats that are deaf seem to do it more.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Jr. Cat

My little boy does this often, like every day, he is a big crybaby He gets played with a lot and all that but sometimes he just wants attention. Once I pick him up and cuddle him he's usually better. In fact he's doing it right now, lol... better go get him!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for your responses. It's weird, though...we usually call his name and ask him what's wrong, and he just looks at us for a second and goes back to MROWWW???ing. He does not like humans to initiate petting or cuddles (he always flails and wiggles away), but he's VERY cuddly and affectionate when he initiates it (by jumping up into our laps)...he knows that all he has to do is jump into one of our laps and we will give him all the attention he wants--we've never pushed him off or ignored him.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Cat Addict

My Leo does this. He will run about MRROWWWing and looking sort of aggitated. Like you, I can't usually intitiate cuddling. He is a jumpy little guy. So I talk to him and he MRROWWs back and if he doesn't stop I MRRROOOW with him. That usually does the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page