Claws -- - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Claws --

I am having a problem with Satin, my 3 yr old bengal girl. She is coming out of her shell more and more the longer she is with me, BUT she's got claws that as of yet she will not let me trim. And since she is becoming more social around me, she sometimes likes to play with my stocking feet - her claws feel horrible. How do I teach her that she's hurting me with her claws without scaring her away.

I do NOT want her to think she can't play with me, but I do need to somehow get across the point that she's hurting me.

On a good note - for the first time the other night I woke up and she was sleeping above my pillow on the bed. She's NEVER dared to sleep that close to me before - I got so excited I couldn't go back to sleep- just lay there and watched her, til I woke her with my stare and freaked her out - LoL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Cat

It's never recommended to play with your cat with your hands or feet directly--for exactly that reason! They start thinking it's OK to use claws on you and don't realize that you have the protective fur that another cat has. You can still play with your cat, but always put a toy between you and her--like using a laser light or feather teaser.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Cat Addict

A couple of things for you.

1) Keep her nails trimmed. It helps tremendously. Do you plan to trim her nails yourself or go to the vet? If you are going to do it yourself, then you'll have to enact it in several steps. Start with touching her paws, stroking them. Then advance to holding them for longer and longer periods of time, stroking the paws etc. Then show her the clipper. let her sniff it, put it on her paw and stroke her paw with it. Then progress to actual clipping.

I was only able to clip Miu's claws by having a confident air about her as I sit her on my lap like a chiild. (I'm right handed). Hold her on your left leg with your left arm around her body and then coming around to hold her paw. Hold her paw firmly but gently and clip with your right hand. If she struggles, I give her a firm 'MM!' sound. She usually looks away from her paws and waits til I'm done.

2) I agree, do not let her play with your hands and feet. Even without sharp claws, it can be uncomfortable on bare skin and also guests may not enjoy playing in this manner. She won't be mad. Opt to use toys with her instead like mice or a ball on a track. I sit there with Jack and push the ball to him, he pushes it back.

Ah, all the firsts are very memorable. It's cool that she's decided to trust you enough to sleep with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with all the above. The only thing I would add, is to make a "hurt/surprised" kitty noise when she pounces on your feet.

If that doesn't work I would resort to a soft hiss. Don't worry about it scaring her away from you. This is the way kitties say "hey! I don't like that". Leo, my skittish kitty, will run off for a bit after I his but if I ignore him after he leaves off doing the bad thing, he will usually come back within a minute and start doing something else (or to test my resolve ).

Another thing you can do, all play-time STOPS when she touches claw to skin. She's smart, she'll get the idea.

Last edited by raecarrow; 02-17-2011 at 03:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Tom Cat

My cats all HATE having their claws trimmed. What I have to do is catch them in moments when their are asleep. I start petting them first so they know I'm there but they are still groggy. Then I start trimming. Because they are sleepy it takes them a moment to realize what is going on. I can do all feet with 2 of my cats, and the other 2 I have to do in stages.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Premier Cat

You've received good advice from the other posters, which I can't add to. But I thought I'd pop in and say it's wonderful that she slept on your pillow. She's really starting to warm up to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page