How does your cat train you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

How does your cat train you?

Prince will grab my hand with his paw and put it where he wants me to pet him. This is how I learned where he likes to be petted. He's very precise, and I indeed read that Maine Coons are very good at using their hands.

We play with a wand and a toy hanging from it by a string. When I sink the toy in his water bowl, he knows to pull it out by the string, to avoid getting his paw wet.

When I gear him to the bedroom or kitchen to play, he knows to grab the toy and pull, towing me back to the living-room, where he prefers to play because there's a long area where he can run. This is how I learned that what he enjoys the most from playing is the run/chase and not the jumping/climbing. Indeed, I've read this is a Maine Coon trait too.

Prince never utters any sounds. If he ever utters a sound, it's only "hihihi", and it means he's asking me for food or to lead him back home. Anything else he wants, he shows me without uttering sounds.

When I approach him and look into his eyes lovingly and/or talk to him sweetly, he starts purring. I guess it means he's expecting some petting...

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Tom Cat

I'm not sure if it is training as much as adorable manipulation but my cats have convinced me to do something that I said I would never do. I am not a fan of birds, I've been randomly pooped on so many times and even had unprovoked attacks from birds (4th of July, a pigeon suddenly appeared out of nowhere and came at my head, it took 3 of us to get the crazed thing out of my hair and flying off to safety). But I saw the delight in my cats eyes whenever a bird landed outside. Somehow just outside my sliding glass door has become a sort of island paradise for birds. I now have regulars that I recognize that visit this little set up. All of this and money spent on an animal I am not fond of so that I my cats can be delighted and watch the little birdies outside The glass door is a favorite spot for them now and I even have little beds set up so they can watch their 'movies' comfortably.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Cool Cat

Since Paizly has no back paws, and can't scratch her neck, she has learned that if I'm around, I will scratch it for her when her little stump starts wiggling as if she is scratching herself... but of course not getting the result she wants.

Eventually I realized that there's no way she can be THAT itchy! Her skin is not flaky, oily, scabby, or any other indication that she has a medical/dermatological problem. She just wants my attention and lovin's, so uses the "I can't reach the itch" tactic to get me to come over and pet her. And if I can't see her, she'll give the pitiful "I need help with this task" mew to accompany the motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Cat Addict

Blacky often likes to think she's the great conductor leading us around.

She has a favourite room in the house - my bedroom (point in fact: every indoor picture of her is taken in my bedroom). If we're down stairs, she'll wander between the rec room and that stairs, patiently waiting for someone to get the message and follow her up the stairs and into my room (which most often is me, since it is my room...). She wants to be in my room, but she wants company. And it works. Since she's so pitiful, going back and forth eagerly waiting for us to follow, I'll normally leave and go on the computer in my room to appease her.

Her second favourite room is the room down stairs where we feed her. She knows if she sits by the stairs and waits for us, as we pass by she'll meow and then start running down stairs. If we don't follow her, she'll come back up and repeat this until we follow her down and she leads up to her empty food bowl. Or her food bowl where all we have to do if flip over her food since she doesn't like it dried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 02-18-2011 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Cool Cat

There's some cats at the sanctuary I volunteer at that have me trained.

Rudy will meow at me over his shoulder, facing the doorway (or if he's already near the door, just stand there) to get into the other room. He's supposed to only stay in one room, but since he doesn't really cause problems, we let him go back and forth between the two main "roam free" sections. He never bothers with the infirmary (which is good, of course, though nobody's sick now...it's just used for overflow the last couple months) or the office (also good, because cats mess up the desk and get stuff scattered everywhere).
Once I was too busy to let Rudy back right away, so I teased him. "What is it, Rudy? Did Timmy fall in the well again?" And of course he meowed again. He's a talker! Constant and LOUD! No trouble hearing him over both the washer and the dryer going, AND if somebody also has the tub faucet on full flow!

Big Boy (who's really not all that big) also goes between rooms. But he doesn't tell me he wants back into the other one, he just stands up and starts scratching insistently on the door. He does go in the infirmary (he spent about the first year of his life there, so it's "home") and the office. Really he just wants to go visit and see what's what and who's who in the other areas, then when he's had his little exploring session he's ready to go back to his assigned area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page