dont know if its a fighting or a mating thing? help please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

dont know if its a fighting or a mating thing? help please

hi,

we have an 18 months 1/2 persian female cat coco.

Coco isnt your typical cat, shes affraid of most things like blowing leaves and butterflys! She has no balance at all and she is small.

Coco has never strayed to far from the garden, is either in our garden or the nextdoor neighbours. Coco sleeps all day and will usually go out as its getting a little dark. Coco has never stayed out over night.

over the past week there has been a tom cat coming in to our garden he is a lot larger than coco, coco has been following this tom cat and hes been following her.

They seem to greet each other by rubbing noses, then the tom will usually lie down watching coco, and coco will walk slowly close to the floor, she does not put her bum in the air and her ears are normal not lying back.

on thursday night they did all of this and went in to the nextdoor neighbours garden, when coco was at the door wanting to come in the tom cat appeared in the garden we opened the door and could hear like a deep monaing/growling sound coming from both of them,you could also smell avery strong smell of tom cat wee,
then the tom cat ran out the garden making some funny meaw noise, coco then chased after him making another strange meaw noise, the tom cat then scarpered it over another fence and coco came back inside.

When coco came back in she was still making this strange deep moaning/growling sound.

During all of this we noticed that neither cat had their hair stand up, neither had their ears back.

so we are really confused by it.
surely if it was a fight the tom wouldnt have backed down as he was like nearly 3 times bigger than coco.

if anyone can help would be very gratefull.

Thanks cat mama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Has she been spayed?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Premier Cat

I had the same question as Marie. If she hasn't been spayed, I think you can just about guarantee they were mating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Coco hasn't been spayed we haven't seen them with the Tom on top of her just all the other stuff stuff.

So why would the Tom cat run off from coco and why could we smell his wee?

Thanks

Last edited by cat mama; 02-19-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I had the same question as Marie. If she hasn't been spayed, I think you can just about guarantee they were mating.
Yep.

Is there a particular reason you haven't spayed your girl? Not even addressing the homeless kittens issue, the heat cycles and pregnancies will wear her down terribly. It's a rough way for a cat to live.

AC
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Cat

Sorry, but if you don't spay your cat and let her go outside, she's going to mate.

It hurts the girl cat when the male cat pulls his penis out of her (since cats have barbed penises), so often the girl cat will growl and attack the male cat after he pulls out.

Please spay your cat ASAP, and if there's a health reason why she can't be spayed, please always keep her indoors. It's totally irresponsible not to.

Last edited by marie73; 02-19-2011 at 04:14 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Premier Cat

It sure sounds like they mated. As paperbacknovel said the barbed penis causes pain in the female and she yowls and often attacks the male. The act of mating releases the eggs, so she will have a litter of kittens. Get her spayed ASAP. The reason that neither had their hair up on end or ears back is that they were friends and familiar with each other. Your female was likely in heat, and that's why both of them were following each other around. I hope you will be a responsible pet owner and get Coco spayed right away.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Cat Addict

Yep, prepare for kittens
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Premier Cat

@Xanti, they won't have to prepare for kittens if they get Coco spayed.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

im sorry but why would it be a bad thing if coco does have kittens? we wanted her to have the chance of having 1 litter then we are going to get her spayed.

if someone took my right away from me of having children thats a very sad thing just because shes an animal she does have the right as any female to have babies.

Also we are a very responsible family, the reason that we had coco was that we have 2 autistic children and did some reasearch and having a pet can help autistic children in understanding feelings, my children get a lot out of having coco as she is so fluffy they love the sensory texture of her, and she loves them to and will only sleep on their beds at night as if shes guarding them.

My children go to a special need school and we know a few famlies from there that would to have a kitten from a loving home to help their child as coco has helped our children. So the kittens would be well looked after.

To me all of the above is being responsible as we are considering coco and allready thinking about suitable loving homes for her litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page