Off-limits = Sleeping hot spot? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Off-limits = Sleeping hot spot?

With Casie, she had a few places she wasn't allowed(like the table or on my homework) and the rest she either didn't go or we gave up on stopping her.

Now Cherry is a different story. There are a few spots I don't want her going and some are:

1. On my frog tank. I've woken up with her sleeping on the tank. The problem with this is that she has Coccidia, so I keep finding the little rice like things in my frog tank. I'm starting to think that may have killed one of my frogs but I'm not sure.

2. Behind the wood stove. Especially when it's on. It's a perfect hiding spot for her, but I don't like her there. It doesn't seem to hurt her, but the dog might get hurt trying to get her and burn his nose or something.

3. We live in an open beamed house and the upstairs is a loft. We have railings along the edge of the loft and Casie had found a gap which her fat could fit through and would sit on the beam that goes across. The beams make a T shape, the top of the T would be along the wall and the other part sticking out into the beams that hold the loft up. Casie would walk in along the top of the T part and then go down the beam to the living room and never any further. On the rest of the top of the T part and going all along the wall to the stairs we have all these glass jars, vases, old tin cans and other things. Below part of that is a cabinet with a ton of vases and glass stuff and inside is the china we have. Cherry hasn't found the opening yet(I don't think she can get to it) but we're worried she will and knock all the stuff down(Casie had a fetish for watching things fall).

Any tips on keeping Cherry out of those spots?

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Cat

Sounds like an adventurous kitty you have! I'm not really an expert on cat-proofing as it is, but I know cat's don't like citrus-y smells like orange, lemon, lime, etc. I guess you could try spraying the areas?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Premier Cat

1. The little "rice things" that fell in your frog tank sound like tape worm segments. Take a fresh stool sample to your vet for testing. If it's tapeworms, vet will prescribe the proper medication to get rid of them. Don't buy over-the-counter meds as they don't work well.

2. I would think the dog is more sensible at not getting his nose burned. Once would be enough to stop him, but if you concerned he might injure himself, put something behind the stove to prevent Cherry from sitting there, such as an upside down bucket or other container or some logs.

3. Can you put a piece of cardboard between the rungs Casie is squeezing through? You may have to leave them there for a month or more, to break her of the habit of going there. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
1. The little "rice things" that fell in your frog tank sound like tape worm segments. Take a fresh stool sample to your vet for testing. If it's tapeworms, vet will prescribe the proper medication to get rid of them. Don't buy over-the-counter meds as they don't work well.

2. I would think the dog is more sensible at not getting his nose burned. Once would be enough to stop him, but if you concerned he might injure himself, put something behind the stove to prevent Cherry from sitting there, such as an upside down bucket or other container or some logs.

3. Can you put a piece of cardboard between the rungs Casie is squeezing through? You may have to leave them there for a month or more, to break her of the habit of going there. Good luck!
I agree with the above. One thing to remember is kitties are fairly self motivated lol. What I mean by that is that they do what they do cause hey it makes them feel good. If, for example, she likes sleeping on top of your frog tank then try to think of what you can do to make that no longer a fun spot to sleep. Perhaps you can set a cookie sheet on top for awhile. I can't imagine it would feel nice to sleep on, and when she jumps down chances are it would slide off and make a not very pleasant sound. It wouldn't take long of this going on to make her say hey this doesn't seem so fun to me and her give up on it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsitively Nicole View Post
I agree with the above. One thing to remember is kitties are fairly self motivated lol. What I mean by that is that they do what they do cause hey it makes them feel good. If, for example, she likes sleeping on top of your frog tank then try to think of what you can do to make that no longer a fun spot to sleep. Perhaps you can set a cookie sheet on top for awhile. I can't imagine it would feel nice to sleep on, and when she jumps down chances are it would slide off and make a not very pleasant sound. It wouldn't take long of this going on to make her say hey this doesn't seem so fun to me and her give up on it.

I used to squirt her with a bottle, but I kept getting yelled at for taking it upstairs and not returning it. And she'd always do it when I was too tired to bother. lol

So far, my two of my frogs have died and the other doesn't seem to be doing to well. So for now I've just put some gatorade bottles on it and hope she avoids them. And if my frog dies, I'll let her sleep there.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page