cat confused by auto-litterbox time delay - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

cat confused by auto-litterbox time delay

I adopted my cat last week. He's awesome and seems to pickup on things really quickly, but I'm having trouble with a scoopfree automatic litterbox I just got.

Getting him to try it was no problem. I pointed at the scoopfree, he went in and looked around, pawed the crystals a bit and came out. I reassured him it was ok, he seemed to get it and tried it out.

I left the bathroom and a few minutes later he BOLTED down to his hiding place - seems like he does that when he's trying to lie low for a while. The litterbox has a 20 minute delay before it cleans up any mess so I think he thought he'd done something wrong because of the smell. I went down to reward him and let him know there wasn't an issue but he was clearly avoiding me. So how do I make him understand I want him to use it?

On another note, are they cat meds that you shoot into their mouth with a syringe flavored or something? I missed a bit with one of the meds and he lapped it up off the floor. I'm curious if he liked the taste or he just knew he had to take it to get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Tom Cat

I honestly think right now it is just a matter of giving your little guy time. A week really isn't that much time. Cats all adjust at different rates just like people, some take a day and others can take months. Your home is full of new sights, smells, sounds, and feels. It is perfectly normal for him to feel afraid right now, he will get use to it in time. I am sure this is why it freaked him out so much when the litter box started up.

I also recommend when he feels overwhelmed and hides to just ignore him. Allow him to come to you. That will build trust, and also associate only positive emotions when he is around you instead of you popping up when he feels afraid and stressed. I have no doubt he will use the box, but if for some reason he doesn't then I would get him a normal box until he has adjusted to your home then slowly transition him to the new one.

As far as medicines go I do know some come in flavors. My sister's cat was on a medication that had a tuna flavoring. He is a good boy for wanting to make sure he gets every last drop
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsitively Nicole View Post
As far as medicines go I do know some come in flavors. My sister's cat was on a medication that had a tuna flavoring. He is a good boy for wanting to make sure he gets every last drop
I was starting to think he's a mathcat but that'd explain it lol.

He's using the new litterbox now! He's a bit picky about litter so this could be a quantum leap in my lifestyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page