smart play/toys? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

smart play/toys?

My kitty's gotten bored of play lately and it's hard to get her going. She's stopped playing by herself as much, but she still seems to be requesting play although it quickly becomes tedious to her. I've also noticed that instead of playing with her collection of little toys she has started assembling them in a small area beneath her tree - so am thinking she may be transitioning from enjoying the more physical run-and-jump kind of play to needing something a bit more mentally stimulating (she's about 14 months). Any suggestions for games or toys or similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Cat Addict

If you can put up with the noise, Petco has these "squeak and play" mice, birds, etc that make realistic squeaking/chirping noises when a cat bats them around. My boys can keep themselves amused for hours.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnapped View Post
My kitty's gotten bored of play lately and it's hard to get her going. She's stopped playing by herself as much, but she still seems to be requesting play although it quickly becomes tedious to her. I've also noticed that instead of playing with her collection of little toys she has started assembling them in a small area beneath her tree - so am thinking she may be transitioning from enjoying the more physical run-and-jump kind of play to needing something a bit more mentally stimulating (she's about 14 months). Any suggestions for games or toys or similar experiences?
So, is she getting bored even when you play with her directly?

My kitty, Artemisia, is not big on self-play anymore, but she still loves "daddy-powered" toys--which is pretty much anything attached to a string that I can drag around for her to chase. However, she also seems to like wrestling more than chasing of late. So, I have a couple of toy mice attached to strings, which I let her chase and pounce on. Once she gets her claws in it, I keep tugging at the string to simulate the little critter trying to escape. That seems to keep her *much* more interested.

Also, what time of day do you try and play with her? Artemisia is much more playful around dawn and dusk (which I think is the natural hunting time for cats).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Esseintes View Post
So, is she getting bored even when you play with her directly?
Yes, we've always played interactively with her 3-4 times a day, sometimes more, for 10-20 minute sessions, and that's what she's now bored of. She'll cry to be played with, start off keen, then lie down and look at us like it's just not worth it. Varying the game by changing toy or hiding it behind something will pique her interest again for a minute or two but she quickly loses interest again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Premier Cat

This may not be the thinking kitty's toy that you were looking for, but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this:

Unlike the DaBird with the feather attachment, this string is actually a thin wire. Murphy cat chew on it to his heart's content and it never breaks. You know a toy is a hit when the cat carries it around the house with him, stick dragging behind.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Senior Cat

My girls, well Evie really, love their Fling-Ama-String FlingAmaString Cat Toy 11546 Cat Toys for Sale

Or you could try a cat kong where you put treats inside?

These are very interactive:

Great Bargains at Clicker Systems for Cats at zooplus: FroliCat Bolt Laser Cat Toy

Catit Design Senses Play Circuit - Innovative cat toys at zooplus

My cats love theirs!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

This is one of Lily's favorites
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Premier Cat

Last weekend, I got my girls the Peek-a-Prize Toy Box and they just love it.

October: I must check out the Da Bird Cat Catcher Toy!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Premier Cat

This came in the mail for MOwMOw last week and I quite like it.

https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1300474

I put good quality dry food (that he covets but isn't allowed a lot of) in the hiding places and in the roller track and he spends ages figuring out how to move the pieces around and get to the food.

In the same order I also got https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1158759 and put food in them for him. He's not as interested in them as the other toy but he'll fuss with them until the food falls out.

For PURE entrainment (for me not him) I got https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=919055. It was only truly hilarious the first time because he didn't know what the heck was going on but to watch him jump backwards and stalk forward each time the bag vibrated was pretty freaking hilarious for me. Now he just watches it vibrate and thumps his tail at it.

For play with me we use da bird type of thing. He loves to chase that. Or we use a lazer light (just remember never to shine it right into their eyes). He's always happy to chase the lazer light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page