My spooky cat is Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My spooky cat is Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde

I adopted Prince from the street a month ago, he seems a former house cat because he's so friendly, considerate, well-mannered and sweet. He's the softest, tamest thing in the world.

However, this last week he's been behaving very strange. At about 5 am each morning when dawn cracks, he suddenly wakes me by attacking my legs over the duvet and trying to bite them too. He looks possessed, the very opposite of his normal personality - aggressive, doesn't care if he hurts me, disobedient. When I finally react aggressively, he looks at me like in shock and suddenly runs off scared. Then about half an hour later, he comes into the bedroom again and there's a repeat of the whole scene.

After dawn, he becomes his usual sweet self and comes to bed and curls up with me to sleep blissfully or just lies next to my head looking out the window.

He's also more active at dusk than the rest of the day, but never aggressive at dusk, just more alert and playful.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Tom Cat

Is he truly being aggressive or playing? Like is he trying to latch on and break skin, or is he being rough and wrestling with your legs? I know when I have been truly attacked by cats they were not so willing to let go and scamper off. His reaction to your anger makes me wonder if it is an inappropriate form of play. I know we don't know his past, perhaps he had a previous owner who taught him to rough house with hands and feet. He might not fully comprehend that it is your legs under there. Autumn LOVES to attack feet under blankets, so does Cloud. But if my feet are out and about they don't think twice about them. They just see movement under the blankie and think 'Quick, pounce!' I would think that if it was aggression you would see snippets of it at other moments.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Nicole, I show him it's my legs, but as soon as I cover them again, he again thinks it's prey! And he bit the duvet around my leg once and made to bite my hand outside the duvet.

The spooky thing is that he hates rough play and he is never like that the rest of the day... Why is he so different at dawn? Then again, you reminded me that I once played with my hand under the duvet and I realized I can't play that game with him anymore because he gets too seriously into it.

Maybe I should take him downstairs at that hour instead of mid-morning as I always do? Maybe that's his favorite hour to be active and he craves action...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Tom Cat

I would try taking him down during that time and see what happens. My cats are most active from 9:00pm to 11:00pm and from 5:00am until around 7:30am. I learned the lesson the hard way about Cloud and Autumn's obsession with feet under blankets...not a fun way to wake up And I never played with them by hiding limbs under blankies. Just something about the movement unleashes the hunter in them lol. So I just shut them out of the room at around 4:30. My husband gets up at that time anyway to head for work. Then they run around and exhaust themselves and everyone is happy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

This morning at 5 am the same scene happened, and when I was thinking "now I'll get up and take him downstairs", I suddenly woke up and it was 9 am LOL But I'll try again tomorrow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page