Where does your cat eat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Where does your cat eat?

I think it's customary to set a corner on the floor in the kitchen to place the bowls, so that's what I did the day Prince arrived. However, I wonder if that's what cats prefer?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Cat

In the kitchen, one plates/dishes that are just a differant pattern than our own ones.

The farm cats, on the other hand, eat wherever they want
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Cat Addict

Ours eat wherever they can get something tasty! If it's off of my plate, that's even more fun!

They do have their own eating place, though. I have a table about the height of a coffee table set up in a corner of the dining room for the cats. Several years ago we had an ant problem and I put their food on this table to get rid of the ants. There is even a little step-stool next to it so RayRay can get up more easily.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Prince seems to like it best when he eats on the kitchen counter directly from the cutting board as I'm preparing his food for the week... I wonder if it's because the meat, freshly bought and not yet frozen, is more tasty than after it's thawed, or if it's my company or what...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

All my cats eat in the kitchen off glass plates. Four of the six are crated while they eat and the remaining two are fed on a table that sits above three of the crates.

All the crates have hand towels covering the floor pans and the table has a long plain beach towel covering it - this makes clean-up a snap.

AC
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Cool Cat

My cat's bowls (and water fountain) are on the floor by my shelf that displays stuffed toys and knick-knacks in my bedroom. My kitchen isn't heated, and therefore "locked" for about 5 months of the year, so all the heat can get shunted to my bedroom to save energy on not heating rooms I hardly use! Living in a basement sucks ;p

It's a pain to keep ants out, but since Paizly has no back feet and can't jump up on any kind of table or shelf, I have to keep it on the floor. Besides, ants can also get up on a shelf anyway (get on the kitchen counter all the time). In the warm months, I just put the bowl of food on a platter that has a rim, and put a 'moat' of water with a little dish soap on it, then the ants never make it to the bowl before they drown.
Luckily the cats never bother to drink the moat water!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

There's also the kitchen oil smeared on the outside of the bowl, that makes ants slide back down and not reach the brim of the bowl.

Do you think cats tend to prefer eating always in the same place?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Jr. Cat

Since I have several cats that don't all eat the same amount, everyone has their own spot, and fosters are assigned a place that they quickly learn. With multiple cats that tend to want to compete, I think it's more relaxing for them to always be fed in the same location, so that they know the food that's placed there is definitely theirs and that they're not stealing by eating it (they eat FAST and don't chew if they think they're thieving). Of course, this is a non-issue for your single kitty.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

But it's very important insight about my strays. I did notice lately that they each tend to eat at the same spot each time, now that you mention it I understand why. I've started to put the kibble piles in the places where I know each of them prefers to eat.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

Mow has a short cat tree that he only uses for food. It's about coffee table height and sits at the end of my kitchen counter. His food bowl and fountain are on it. It's right next to 'his' counter spot (the only portion he's allowed on) and he uses it to get up onto his spot as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page