Affects of being an only kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Affects of being an only kitten?

I'm just kind of curious. Casie was found at around 8 weeks old and was our only cat all her life, what sort of affects would that have on her? She was always grumpy(up until her last year or so), attacked often, didn't play, always fought with cats through our door's window and was all around anti social. I'm not sure if that was because of being an only kitten or just her personality...

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Cat Addict

Bringing other cats into the fold could be a major problem. I've dealt with this a few times and it's never pretty.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

It could be a combination of both. It's probably good that she remained the only diva in the house.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yeah my parents were all against having two of any pet(except small pets) even though they had 3 dogs at one point.

A few months ago one of our workers brought her cat so I could play with him and Casie just watched him and hissed occasionally. She didn't seem that hostile at all. But she as old then too...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, some cats seem to do well with others, some don't. My first cat, Apollo, desperately needed a friend, and it was fairly obvious because of how much he acted out, wanted to play, begged for attention, etc. As soon as we got Athena it was like his world was made 10x better. Athena could probably go either way and is good at entertaining herself and sometimes wants to be left alone, but also seems to enjoy having someone to play with now and then.

But other cats really seem much happier being the only cat.

Could be Casie just prefers to be without the company of other cats. As long as she seems happy/not lonely or bored, then I wouldn't worry that you did anything wrong by not introducing another cat. She may have reacted badly to another cat if she's not fond of playing with them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Guess I should have said that Casie died last month and we got Cherry after her death.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanmist View Post
Guess I should have said that Casie died last month and we got Cherry after her death.
Ahh I'm sorry to hear that. In any case, I am sure she had a very happy life. It sounds like she was more a solitary cat, so I don't think you deprived her of anything by keeping her as an only cat.

If you're wondering whether or not Cherry needs a companion, that'd probably depend on his/her personality.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Tom Cat

I think it sounds like Casie was content with being an only kitty. She had her precious few that she loved and was so happy to have them.

Now the way you have described Cherry in your other threads I personally think she would probably enjoy having another kitty her age to play and goof off with. I bet she is loving that cat tree you built her
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I want to get Cherry a little friend(maybe one of her siblings that are still at the shelter) but my parents don't want another cat...not even if I care for them all by myself. Personally I'd love another cat! I love cats and love their companionship.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page