is there any way of telling if your cat would accept a companion? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

is there any way of telling if your cat would accept a companion?

It's not that practical for me to get a second cat but I can't help dwelling on the possibility when I see how bored Genie seems for much of the day. As I've posted before she's quite bored of playing with us but still demands it constantly. She's still got a very playful attitude, rolling over, purring, trilling and rabbit kicking gently soon after being petted. She hasn't had any other cat contact at least since she was about 6 months old. Is there any true way of telling whether a cat's personality is suited to a friend. I guess if I got another kitty it would be for her more than me (although I'd be happy to have another).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

You should only get another kitty if YOU want one, because there's always a chance that they won't become buddies. Some cats are very happy having their person all to themself. Cinderella was much happier before I brought other cats into the home, and our relationship changed afterwards.

Especially because it's not practical now, I would hold off. Besides, cats sleep most of the day. I know they sometimes have that sad meow or look when we leave for work. It's to guilt you into buying treats and presents on your way home.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with Marie. You should only get a second cat if you want another.

That said, if you would like another perhaps the easiest way to "test" how Genie would be with another cat would be to foster a cat. If, after the foster were adopted, you saw that Genie adapted well to having another cat around, then you could either continue to foster or adopt a second cat yourself (or both!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Tom Cat

I agree with Susan's suggestion of fostering. A good foster program will do a home visit and will have a program established to help you when introducing the foster into the rest of your home and with your kitty. At the home visit they should set up a battle plan on how to best implement their program into your home. By doing this you can also see if Genie responds well to adults, kittens, or both.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

I agree that you should get a second cat if you want one. You didn't elaborate what is "not that practical"....finances, space, rent restrictions? but you should wait until you are sure. Calicos can be tricky sometimes. They tend to be very independent, often stubborn and bossy to other cats or even hostile to the point to want to be the only cat in a home. You don't say how old your girl is, but usually calicos are more accepting of young kittens. The idea of fostering is an excellent one to test how she would react to another kitty or cat.

As far as Genie's "boredom", you could switch Genie's toys around, every week or so, with new ones (and put the old ones away). "Da-Bird" is a good interactive toy if you don't have one. Even cardboard boxes, and paper bags fascinate, so it doesn't always have to be store bought.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks everyone for your advice!
I do want another cat (or lots!) but it's not practical for financial reasons right now. Possible but not ideal.
Fostering sounds like a great idea for discovering if Genie would be happy living with another cat - I might look into it soon.

catloverami - it's true that Genie is very stubborn and independent, but I thought calicos were just a colour, not a breed. Do you know why they are reputed to have this personality trait?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Jr. Cat

Fostering is a good idea! If you do add to your family, remember it can take some time for them to warm up to each other
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Jr. Cat

There was an article in Cat Fancy about colors and personalities... they do tend to have a link. Stitch is my second orange cat and had to agree with the article when it said orange cats (they're usually male) are quite dog like and laid back. They've also got a little crazy on the side. If you google it I think theres a website that goes over the same stuff.. kindof interesting really.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

My calicos are very loving and were very accepting of Gigi right away.

Gigi is the problem, not the twins.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page