what does miaow mean? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat

what does miaow mean?

For the last week or so, Genie will walk into the room I'm working in and miaow at me every 15 minutes or so. I say hello, she says miaow, I pet her, play with her a little until she gets bored, talk or sing to her and she relaxes and goes about her business soon after. 15 minutes later she's back. I don't know what she wants. She has plenty of food, her litter tray is clean, she doesn't like cuddling. She seems active and alert, poking around with the tip of her tail gently twitching, and when she lies down she blink-smiles at me without hesitation. It's true that this miaowing has only started since I stopped feeding her fish. Is she just saying hello or is she complaining about something? Is she coming to visit or to remind me that there's still no fish on her plate?! Is miaowing without demand normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Premier Cat

Abby mews a lot. She usually means, "Susan, take that silly computer off your lap and play with me instead!"...so I do.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Cat Addict

Prince meouws when he wants a treat or when he wants me to come to where he is instead of him coming to where I am. He never ever meows otherwise. And yes, he meows when he doesn't like the food in his bowl and wants something else. But if there isn't something else coming, he eats what's in the bowl.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Tom Cat

Casie used to do this all the time. She'd meow and meow until she fell asleep. I never did find out why...

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Tom Cat

I've heard it said that cats vocal patterns can mean a lot of things. Trills of excitement, growls of tension, etc. They use this and their bodies to communicate to one another. But that the distinctive meow is reserved for humans. And do you know what the experts say? That is is a cat that is demanding something (no wonder they only use it with us lol). It is a I want statement. Which sounds like you've already heard all of that

My personal opinion is that she is coming in to be with you. She may not like cuddles, but she is blatantly showing you affection in cat speak. I think she is trying to convey to you her desire be near you and express her love in a way that she is comfortable with. If you like her talking then keep talking back to her. It creates a sense of bonding and she will want to have more and more conversations with you. And of course it is always possible that there is a fishy complaint on the side
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Cat Addict

My yard semi-feral cat miaows when she wants inside or when she's hungry. For either thing she needs a human, so she uses the "miaouw" for those.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Premier Cat

Genie sounds to me if she's saying... "some fish, please". Test your theory, give her some fish and see if that's the end of the meowing every 15 mins. If she continues the meowing, stand up and say. "What do you want" or "Show me". My cats do this sometime, then lead me to whatever it is, looking back to make sure I'm following. (lol)

Last edited by catloverami; 02-27-2011 at 02:34 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

Miu will run into a room I'm in and say 'MEOOOOOW!" while looking straight at me. I know it's her saying 'HI MOOOOM!' She'll jump up to where I am and rub on my arms a bit affectionately. After some petting and stuff, she'll just walk off non-chalantly like she's had enough. I think she's just doing what little kids do with their parents.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Cat Addict

"Give me everything I have ever wanted"

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
Miu will run into a room I'm in and say 'MEOOOOOW!" while looking straight at me. I know it's her saying 'HI MOOOOM!' She'll jump up to where I am and rub on my arms a bit affectionately. After some petting and stuff, she'll just walk off non-chalantly like she's had enough. I think she's just doing what little kids do with their parents.
haha, Lily does something similar to this! She'll be napping on the floor near my desk chair, then suddenly she'll jump up, meow, and run and leap into my lap, purring and cuddling. After a few minutes, she'll jump off and go about her business. It's pretty adorable.

I often try to figure out what their meows mean...Spencer had been going into the bathroom and MEOWING loudly. One of us would go and see what he wants, but he'd just stare at us blankly, utilizing his patented "deer in headlights" expression. Finally, last night, I figured it out! He wants someone to come into the bathroom and turn on the faucet so he can jump on the bathroom counter and stare at the water, batting at it occasionally with his paw. haha, go figure...

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page