A Gift, or what? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

A Gift, or what?

When I am watching TV in the basement, one of my cats will drag one of those "fluffy-things-on-a-stick" down to the basement and lay it on the floor about 4 feet away.

When I am in bed the cat does the same thing, laying it on the floor at the foot of the bed.

Occasionally I will find it on the kitchen floor in front of the sink.

A gift? Some token of appreciation? Or just another unexplainable cat thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Premier Cat

It could be a gift...bringing you their "catch" so to speak. Alternatively, perhaps they're dropping a hint that they want you to play with them. When Abby wants to play, she'll often drag one of her toys over to me, as if to say, "Take the hint, Susan!"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Susan,
Sounds reasonable. The "thingy" used to be a favorite play toy when he was younger. He doesn't play with it any more though, just drags it around the house dropping it here and there deliberately from the looks of it.
Habit? If he's dropping hints I haven't caught any. Clueless kind of describes my relationship with all my cats. We just stare at each other hoping for some mind linking event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

Pick it up and try to engage them in play the next time they bring you their toy. Tiger used to drag strings around the house and behind furniture. It wasn't uncommon for him to drag a brown leather string behind the entertainment center and exit dragging a white shoelace. Behind the EC was his stash of toys. Toby would drag a toy or string to us, drop it and then put a claw lightly on our shoe or foot, meowing at us to play with him. He loved to chase the strings ... he didn't care to 'catch' so much as he liked chasing and sliiiiiding across the linoleum after the strings. Now Louie and Skippyjon Jones like to carry toys around, though I think Louie wants to keep his toy to himself and SJJ wants to incite everyone to chase him.
Cats are very interesting in the varied ways they like to play as individuals.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Heidi,
It used to be a toy, but he doesn't play with it any more. It's kind of like a "place marker" for him now. Like walking into a room with your backpack and sitting it down.

Squiggy, by the way, has spent the winter (Michigan winter) in the garage. Nice and cozy. Hay bales and a cat door, heated water dish, heated cat pad, two squares, cat nip. I should have it so good. He had to share the garage with two 9mo old kittens and he's going nuts. Now he's got spring fever and it's all the worse. He can't wait for rabbit season to start. Still fights, still gets beat up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Cool Cat

Fergie has gone through a couple of phases where she drags this stuffed cow around the house kind of like your cat is doing. She would just bring it with her as she moved around the house - she didn't want to play with it, and she would get offended if we would try. It was hilarious because the cow is almost as big as she is, so it was pretty amazing that she would drag it up and down the stairs regularly, but she did this every day for weeks. It seems to have finally become just an object to hide behind, but it was pretty entertaining for a while!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page