Moving with cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Moving with cats

Evening all!

This post may be a little long so forgive me but I don't want to clutter your forums with multiple posts. Spam sucks.

I'm wondering if someone could offer a little advice on how to handle a major location change with 2 cats involved.

My wife and I have two cats, Coco and Bubbles. We live in Ontario, Canada and have decided to move back to our home Province of Newfoundland. its about 1300 km's away so it is a major move. I am a little concerned about the move itself.

We will me moving in late April so we started packing non-essentials and selling stuff we don't intend on moving. Coco is a Rock. Nothing bothers her. I am not as concerned about her as I am with bubbles. With the recent commotion at our place, bubbles seems to spend more time under the bed. She's not totally reclusive as I just spent the last 20 minutes tossing pipe cleaner around to her delight. Before all this started, she would spend her time lazing away on the back of the couch, or on her new perch on top of the 7ft tall DVD tower.

Saturday afternoon, I totally gutted out the extra bedroom and moved two shelving units out into the hall that I had just sold. I didn't see her at all that day. It was about 9pm that night that she came out from under out bed.

Is this normal behavior when you change things up like this?

My other concern is the move itself. I will me leaving in late April and my wife will be following with the cats in mid to late May. She will be flying out. We confirmed that she can take one of them in the passenger area so I'm thinking its gonna be Bubbles as I feel Coco would be able to handle being with the baggage better out of the two. Both will be sedated. We will be taking them to the vet in the next few weeks for a checkup and will talk to the vet about that. Has anybody even traveled via plane with a cat or several cats in tow?

Another question I have: we are contemplating separating them for the month of may. My wife keeps one with her and I take one back with me. Is this advisable? What will happen when we reunite them? They aren't from the same litter. They aren't sisters so they have never been cuddly with each other (except for that one time, luckily the camera was close by). If we do separate them for a month, will they be OK with each other once reunited? What can I expect there? We are leaning away from this option as I want to keep them together but I wanted to throw it out there to see what others thought.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Premier Cat

My Muffs is a very skittish/nervous cat and she tends to go into hiding from time to time if there's too much going on. If your wife is traveling with both cats and can only take one in the cabin, it would make sense for her to take Bubbles.

I've never travelled on a plane with my girls (I think poor Muffs would have a heart attack!), but my daughter has travelled twice to the UK with her cat, Neko (once from the UK to Canada and then back again). Neko is a very laid back cat and he didn't have any problems with the plane ride. He travelled in cargo, since they don't allow cats in the cabins on international flights. So, I imagine Coco will be fine. The trip to Nfld is only a few hours, so it's not as bad as to the UK.

If you separate them for a month, you might have to do a short re-introduction when they're reunited. I have to do that with mine even when one is at the vets for a day! So, I'd tend to keep them together and let your wife travel with both of them in May.

Good luck...Newfoundland is very pretty!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Cool Cat

My daughter's cat is an experienced traveler. Harper made the usual trips from colege to our house (200 miles each way) with no difficulty. I have an older cat and one of Harper's littermates - we just open the crate and Harper joins my girls.
Last summer, Harper and my daughter moved 1200 miles away. They made the trip in two days. Since then, they have flown back here twice. In two weeks, they will be moving 700 miles further away (my daughter's job means she moves often).
I would not fly a beloved pet in cargo of any plane, under any circumstances.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page